89 yj kidney shaker

Madfitter

Hey guys just purchaced my first jeep, an 89 wrangler, (never buy from a friend) I dont know what brand of lift kit it has on it but it is 4" with 33x12.50 tires. The shocks look new so does the lift . The thing rides like a cement truck on steel wheels. Does anyone recommend a fix , relativly inexpensive but not cheap? Thanx for any help u can give.:???:

First Jeep, eh? It's a YJ (leaf springs) so it's going to ride stiff..........at least compared to your run-of-the-mill "automobile". I've owned many trucks that rode alot smoother than the wife's YJ.....but I kinda like the ride. I can't really help you as far as smoothing it out, but I'm sure there's some on here who can. My suggestion would have been to buy a TJ (coil springs) if ride quality was your main concern (NOT a real inexpensive solution). Once you get them off the pavement, they ALL ride rough.........another thing I like......and that YJ will kick arse!!! Anyway, try and enjoy!!!....and welcome to the "Z"!!!!

Ive been looking at SOA kits that allow you 2 run stock springs for an over all lift of 6". I wonder if that would ride a bit smother , because i drive this thing every day 45 miles to work one way. I love it , but I can't even drink my coffee in the morning.

Some 4" springs ride very rough, like ProComp. They don't flex a bit. There are other brands of 4" leaf springs that ride halfway decent, Rusty's Offroad is one of them.

If you want the best ride go with the SOA with stock springs plus a full length AAL, or the RE 1.5" SOA springs.

Shocks can cause a harsh ride as well, especially gas-charged shocks. What brand/model are they? Consider a smooth riding hydraulic shock like Rusty's hydros or Doetsch-Tech 3000's from RE.

I've got a 3.5" BDS lift on my YJ, and it doesn't ride bad...not much stiffer than stock. It's no Town Car, but hey, it's a Jeep, it's not supposed to be smooth. If you go too smooth, off-road will be compromised.

One simple thing you might want to check...

See if whoever put the lift kit on overtightened the shackle bolts at both the frame and spring ends. If he did it will definitely ruin the ride quality.

They should be snug, but not too much as to limit the movement of the shackles as the springs move up and down.

It's worth a shot and it wouldn't be the first time someone did it ;)

all good tips- but first = welcome to Jeepz! you'll like it here - lots of good advice and feedback.... fact is... some springs just run stiffer than others - i had a procomp 4" lift on my old 91 and it was the harshest buck board ride i'd ever felt - the hellcreek lift i have now is pretty compliant- youre not going to get a Lexus ride out of a YJ but there are a few things you can try - first like was said b/4 - make sure the shackles aren't too tight - one trick i heard of is to just get the play out and use jamb nuts (a second nut against the first one) to keep it from backing off to let them move freely f(be carefull cuz it can allow side movement if too loose which isnt good for stability)- another is to make sure there is minimal resistance between the springs (some packs use teflon or polymer bushings between the springs) you can also use a lube if you can get in between the springs in each pack (try lifting each tire to relax the springs as much as possible) i've even heard of some taking the packs apart, smoothing all the surfaces and then doing the above... bottom line tho... if they're stiff, they're stiff... swap em out, try to help them move more freely or just get used to not using cupholders... but they're great off the pavement!!! g'luck and hope i helped!.... just my $.02

Thanx for the advice, im going to try everything I can before I replace the springs. Ive heard of "boomerang style" shackles does anyone run these on their rig? If so how well do they work? The SOA kit I was looking at was from 'rocky mountain' i think? It comes with slides on the bottom of the clamps that hold the new spring perch to the axel and some other trick parts. Im a reformed muscle car guy and I know my way @ a garage so im not afraid to wrench on my jeep , but I would like to educate myself on whats proven to work on real peoples rigs. thanx for any feed back!!

boomerangs, like shackle reversal, has been subject to much debate here - do a search and you'll see what i mean... i like the idea but brake line and driveshaft mods (lengthening) has kept my curiosity just that... in fact, almost any question i've come up with has been covered in some way.... good luck and keep up posted!

Go for a ride in a stock yj...we all judge ride quality differently. You may have a better riding rig than stock ! Assuming it really does ride hard, I've heard good things about ome's kits as far as ride quality. also I've had rancho rs 5000's and now 9000's...they really s'ck and ride hard, when it's cold they literally pound. I think they all seize up. I've tried their hourglass shaped bushings...no help either. My stock suspension cj-5 rides better than my 95-yj with the rancho's!

Thanx for the advice, im going to try everything I can before I replace the springs. Ive heard of "boomerang style" shackles does anyone run these on their rig? If so how well do they work? The SOA kit I was looking at was from 'rocky mountain' i think? It comes with slides on the bottom of the clamps that hold the new spring perch to the axel and some other trick parts. Im a reformed muscle car guy and I know my way @ a garage so im not afraid to wrench on my jeep , but I would like to educate myself on whats proven to work on real peoples rigs. thanx for any feed back!!
Rocky Mountain is a brand label slapped on by Collins Brothers, right? I'd be willing to bet they are just relabeled Rough Country kits.

Rubicon Express makes a nice SOA kit if you have access to a welder or know someone who does. You'll have to set the pinion angle and weld the perches on. Full Traction makes a bolt-on kit, which is very simple with no welding, but you'll have about an inch less clearance at the u-bolts compared to a weld-on kit.

Hummer-recovery-inc
any chance you have a pic of that YJ with 2" lift and 31's. I was going to do that to my YJ but want to see what it would look like first. Aslo thought about a cheeper 4", but not after hearing all this!

Thanks all you guys ...The weather is almost too cold for wrenching here but Im trying to make room in my garage to at least get part of my rig into it and try some tinkering. I just bought a bumper/tire carrier set up on ebay , when it comes in im gonna try some of the suggestions you guys recommended. P.S How do you put pics and descriptions on my posts?

Back