89 Cherokee cooling system

doowa

Just bought a 89 Cherokee Limited 6 cyl 4.0 to restore for my son. It needs(I think) a new cap for the coolant overflow bottle. I called the dealer for one, and they asked if it was a heavy duty cooling system. I don't know. How can I tell??? Please help!
The Quadratec website has one too but doesn't say if it's for a heavy duty or not.[addsig]

go to your local auto parts store, they should have a section with caps and stuff there, pick out the right one. much cheaper that way too.[addsig]

doowa - welcome aboard! i have a coolant bottle just sitting here in my room that you're welcome to. just cover shipping and the whole thing (cap included) is yours! email me if interested dingus@dingus.tqhosting.com

ps. what makes you think the cap is bad? does it overheat and boil out the cap? [addsig]

Hi and thanks, but I just ordered one from Quadratec(along with a couple other things)

Yes, it is boiling out the cap. Hopefully this solves my problem. We're trying to get this thing driveable for my son. Needs some TLC. We're going to some junkyards to try to find some other parts for it too. It needs a seatbelt on the drivers side, and a passenger side view mirror(power). We're checking ebay for some stuff too.

My son is almost 15, and will be taking drivers ed this summer. He's really excited about having this Jeep. We are a Jeep family. My husband has a Wrangler and I have a Grand Cherokee.

Thanks again[addsig]

needs(I think) a new cap for the coolant overflow bottle
A new cap would be a good idea, But if it is boiling out of the overflow, you might have another issue to deal with. A long time ago, I was driving this 77 F350 dually and I noticed that the heat was not pumping out,(this was a -10 degree new england morning) pulled over to check it out, radiator fluid was boiling out from the overflow, just as you said. I manage to get the truck back to the work shop (oh ya this was a work truck) Checked everything out, turns out the radiator was complete junk, and metal flakes from the radiator had ruined the thermostat. Both needed replaceing

Just giving you heads up, might want to pressure check the system and completely flush the radiator, if the water is brown, transparent rusty color, might want to consider a new radiator.

OH YA WELCOME TO THE BOARD, STAY AS LONG AS YOU WANT!

Johnny[addsig]

i'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that its not your cap. mine had the same problem, the radiator was clogged and crudded out like others have noted... new radiator fixed the problem. i also replaced the thermostat in the process, its only like 10 bucks.[addsig]

ok, flushed system and replaced thermostat. Seems to be working fine now. Didn't boil over!! Thanks!!
[addsig]

Not a lot, but the thermostat was stuck shut. My husband boiled it on the stove and it wouldn't open.[addsig]

does anyone know where i can get a coolant resivoir dirt cheep, the one we have not has a little tiny hole in it, we tried using heavy duty sealent, it worked for a bit but now it's starting to do it again....by the way i'm living up in Canada.......if anyone just has one sitting around, it'll be greatly apperciated... It's an 89 Jeep Cherokee[addsig]

Otherwise, Quadratec has them for $20.

BTW, regarding previous posts.....radiator has a hole in it. Small spray out the front. :-( But at least it doesn't boil over anymore ;-)

[addsig]

that radiator spraying out the front can be fixed with some JB-weld (strong epoxy) and a little sheet metal... just trim a little piece of metal and glue it down over the hole.

good tho, i'm glad to hear things are better! :)[addsig]

hey dingus....maybe i'll try what you suggested, cause the only problem with it is it has a small whole in the side of it, i'll give that sheet metal and JB weld and if not i'll get back to you on gettin that coolant resivoir......[addsig]

if the hole is small enough you could probably just gob some of the jb-weld on there by itself, ya know?

-nate[addsig]

Back