87 cherokee

jeepguy46176

TJ Bikinii and Trail Cover

hey guys i have a chance to by an 87 cherokee with a 6cyl auto the body is in pretty good shape and it runs good but the front trans seal leaks and all flat tires but he only wants a 100 bucks for it .I was wondering how hard it is to put a new seal in or if it is even worth messing with thanks for any help

I´m guessing it´s the auto transmission, the AW4. The front pump seal doesn´t look, like it would be real hard to do (after looking in the book), though I´ve never had to do one in the AW4. But the problem could be something else, like an internal seal is bad and the transmission is building so much pressure, it blows oil through the front seal (I´ve seen this on Dodge 727 trannies).
I´m guessing, if the troque converter bolts have come loose. it could mess up the pump to torque converter seal pretty quick. There is also a large "O" ring in the front, for the oil pump, that could have gotten hard and is leaking.
Are you sure it´s the transmission that´s leaking? The engine rear main bearing seal is usually the one that leaks, along with the front oil cooler connections under the radiator. May be engine oil, mixed with transmission oil, blow to the back of the motor, by the wind, from the cooler lines.
Something as easy, as cleaning out the two, oil vent lines coming out of the top of the valve cover. Often slows the engine, rear main bearing leak, significantly.

If its the 2.8 ( Chevy's garbage jeep bought) give him $100.00 and tell him too keep it.
All I see is bad things about that motor.

That is the same reason why I parked my Cherokee. I replaced the seal but it still leaks. I would take a real close look at the transmission, transmission mounts, motor mounts, flexplate and anything else that you can think of that might have caused the seal to go. Then make a call if it is worth it. Mine I would have to replace the whole transmission if I were to try to get it on the road again. On mine some moron broke the whole bellhousing about 3/4 of the way around and then took it to a welding shop and the welded it back up and he just slapped it back in. When you weld aluminum it will contract .02 to .05 thousanths which but the transmission in a bind. It broke countless flexplate till I bulletproofed a replacement flexplate with some .104 stainless steel. Needless to say the next weekist point is the torque converter and it became real loose on the splines and now eats seals. If you not planning to make it a daily driver right away you might have a good find. It will take a evening to replace a seal by lowering tcase a transmission together if you have a good jack and a buddy to help you balance the combined two as you put it back in. for the price of the jeep even if you were to have to replace a transmission it might be worth it.

White is right mine is the 2.8 and it is junk unless you plan to upgrade motor with something bigger I am taking your find is the 4.0 inline 6. I plan on selling mine to a teenager with lots of time on his hands or to somebody who needs parts.

Bikini top and leaf springs

i went and looked at it last night i had just seen pics my brother sent me when i posted last time but it does have the 2.8 i think my little brother is still going to buy it he dosent want a daily driver just something to take out and play with when my buddys and i go out so for 100 bucks he should be able to get that much fun out of it

They did start putting it in in 87. But I have heard from more than one person there was still a few V6 sold that year.
i thought the 2.8 was only in 84-86. 87 was the first year of the 4L

Hi,

The inline 6 cylinder engine was put into the cherokees in 1987. I believe the 1987's were the first year for fuel-injection on 6-cylinder cherokees as well, but maybe that was the 1988 models. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back