79 CJ7 info?

jcooper

My friend has the above stated vehicle. I have never seen it. She would like me
to teach her more about it (how to change oil, filters, etc). She said she was told
to lock the hubs when putting it in to 4wd. This doesn't make sense to me. I
thought all CJ/YJ/TJ were on the fly? She did mention that it was a three speed
manual. Is any one familiar with this model? I won't get to see it for a week or
two, and once I do I'll be able to identify a lot more... Just curious how 4wd was
set up.

Cooper.

" ...and the god of all that is good and employed looked down upon the wretched
and haggard cooper. He smiled, and said verily unto the cooper, 'You are good and
deserving of employment.' And thus, on the 10th day of the third month of the year
2003, it was so.

'Go forth and earn your pay, for your jeep funds are as dry as the Sahara, and are in
desperate need of replentishment.' All who heard knew of the ill-tempered god of
jeeping, and did not wish to dissappoint him. For to neglect one of his vehicles was
to beg for expulsion from the Garden of Mud and Rock.

And so the humble servant, cooper, went forth, toiled for his pay, and fixed his jeep.
He swore mightily, never to anger the god of employment again. For the god of
employment is in cahoots with the god of economy, and paybacks are a b*tch."

NOTE: In the above quote, the individuals refered to are "gods," not "God." Kinda like
a greek tragedy. Which the last year and a half definitely has been.

edited by: jcooper, Mar 09, 2003 - 04:03 PM[addsig]

Yeah it is on the fly.... but on CJs you also have to lock the hubs. The transmission you're talking about is a t-150.[addsig]

Cool, I assume locking the hubs is similar to most locking hubs? ie get out, and turn the
center of the hub 90 degrees. She was also told to put it in reverse (after unlocking the
hubs) and back up a little to go back to 2wd. I know my dad's ford exploder had to do
this, but that was an electronic 4wd with auto locking hubs. I would think after switching
the hubs back and the transfer case back, you would be good to go. No reverse
necessary. Am I wrong?

Are there any common problems with CJ7's that I should look for? What engine came in
them?

Thanks for the input.

Cooper.[addsig]

i have a 79 cj7 and mine is the old quadratrac i think thats it,
well mine is always in 4 wheel drive but you do have to put it
in reverse to get it out of low range my transmission is a t-150
not sure about the transfer case but the sifter only has low and high
thats it. i really want to change the transfer case. and there is nothing
on the dash to shift the 4 wheel drive in so its in all the time.[addsig]

oh yea the motor thats in mine is a 258 straight 6[addsig]

Okay, the front hubs have to be locked (turned about 90 degrees from free to lock) to engage the front axle shafts. The logic behind this is that you don't want to put unnecessary wear and tear on the front axle, so the shafts don't spin UNLESS you've locked the hubs. Auto locking hubs need to be reversed, not manual ones. As far as what it has in it:
Engine options: 258 (standard inline 6) or 304 (optional V8)
Transmissions: T-150 (standard 3 speed - pretty sure, not positive) or T-18 (optional heavy duty 4 speed)
Transfer case should be a Dana 20
Axles are a Dana 30 up front and an AMC 20 out back.
As far as common problems go, the 258 engine is very reliable, but is prone to bad, tweeky carburetors on the late 70s models. It also can suffer from vacuum leaks, so if it runs rough, check all the vacuum lines. The transmissions are very stout and don't normally have any problems (the T-18 is considered bulletproof) the dana 20 transfer case is a solid gear driven unit, also low maintenance. The rear axle is the only other normal problem. It has a two piece axle design that is prone to breaking, even under not so heavy use. It's pretty common practice to throw one piece axle shafts in there to make it a stout unit. Last thing to look out for is RUST. These bodys never had an undercoating, so they rust easily. More importantly, at the very rear of the frame near the shackle mount, the frame can rot since it's a place where dirt and water can acumulate. If there's a problem, there are articles online about how to fix it. (going through that right now on mine) That's about it really, hope she loves her Jeep, tell her to take care of it![addsig]

Back