4x4/Transmission problem

Sly8795

Last night I engaged my 4x4 low to drive up a hill going in reverse and it made a grinding noise into 4 wheel drive and i didnt like that sound so i put it into 4x4 high instead and it made it up fine and then i put it back into 2 wheel drive. then im driving it today and it started smoking so i drove a little more and pulled over to find out all of the transmission fluid had leaked out of somewhere....is transfer case fluid also red and the same fluid you put into the transmission? im just trying to figure out what the hell happened any ideas?

It all leaked out of the front of the engine area not anywhere near the transmission itself..could this be some transmission fluid line or has my transmission blown something?[addsig]

I would say maybe take a look at your transmission cooling lines going to the radiator, maybe one of those got pinched or is leaking. Also take a look at your transmission dipsitck and make sure that it's firmly seated.[addsig]

While you're under there, check the radiator itself as well - a stone or other debris may have ruptured it, thus causing the leak at the front of the engine area.

I'm a Jeep newbie as well, but I think transfer case fluid is the same as transmission fluid.[addsig]

Back