4WD Problems

TSigsbee

We just had a big snow storm, my son switch his 97 Wrangler into 4H to drive to the gas station, drove it home and parked it in the driveway as I continued to shovel the drive. After I had finished, I restarted the Jeep backed down the driveway, tried to move forward and it wouldn't. The 4WD indicator light is out on the on the dash and the Jeep wont move forward or reverse. Try to put the Jeep in Park and it makes all sorts of grinding noises. After the grinding stops, the jeep seems like its stuck in neutral. There is no reverse, no forward.....nothing. Ideas please?

Sounds like the transfer case slipped into neutral. Might take rolling the Jeep slightly to get it to shift back into 4wd.

Thanks, I will give that a shot!

We just had a big snow storm, my son switch his 97 Wrangler into 4H to drive to the gas station, drove it home and parked it in the driveway as I continued to shovel the drive. After I had finished, I restarted the Jeep backed down the driveway, tried to move forward and it wouldn't. The 4WD indicator light is out on the on the dash and the Jeep wont move forward or reverse. Try to put the Jeep in Park and it makes all sorts of grinding noises. After the grinding stops, the jeep seems like its stuck in neutral. There is no reverse, no forward.....nothing. Ideas please?

Back