4" Lift On A 2.5 4cyl.

95' jeep

I Have A 95' Yj And Have 31in Tires And The Rub The Flares A Little. I Want To Put A 4" Lift On. Don't Know If That Is To Much For The Little 4 Bannger. If Not What Type Of Lift Should I Put On. I Have Heard Bad Things About The Rough Country Brand? I Am Looking At The Procomp Or Skyjacker.

The amount of lift you have has nothing to do with engine performance. It won't make a difference at all, except maybe a little more wind resistance.

IT is the tire size that makes a difference. If you are sticking with 31" tires your performance should be the same.

That said, a 4" lift is a little excessive for 31's. If you plan on going with a larger tire then go for it, but if you intend to stick with 31" tires than maybe you should consider a 2.5" lift.

Here's my 91 YJ with a 2.5" lift on 31" tires... no rubbing at all, not even when I disconnect the swaybar:

Attachments

• Kevin's 91 Sahara.jpg
    Kevin's 91 Sahara.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Yeah I have a 4.5 RE lift on my little 4banger and until i got the 33's it looked kind of stupid. The lift made no difference on engine performance. Even with 4.5 inches of lift it still flexes well enough with the 33's to rub pretty good. Consider getting new flares.

The ProComp rides stiff, don't have anything negative to say about SkyJacker except for their leaf springs used to sag really bad back in the day, I've heard they have since improved.

Go with Rubicon Express, or www.rustysoffroad.com . I would pick Rough Country over ProComp.

I would pick Rough Country over ProComp.
I'd steer clear of both of them. Like the man said ProComp's stiff springs will beat you to death, and Rough Country has had problems with their 4" springs sagging.

I'll second Rubicon Express, Skyjacker, and Rusty's Offroad are all solid choices.

Is a SYE and a new shat required to fit a 4" RE Lift? I see the kit comes with a transfer case lowering kit, so I would guess not, but does anyone has any experience with this kit? By the way, should I expect bump steering with this lift? And can a rookie mechanic install it, or do I need to have it installed by a proffessional?

I have heard good things about this kit, and the price is right (which is why I am now thinking about buying this kit instead of doing a SOE conversion)...

I have the 4.5RE extreme duty lift with only the 1inch transfer case lowering kit and I don't have any vibrations. I don't have any bump steer i don't imagine their standard 4in lift would have any either but once again every jeep is different. Installation is pretty straightforward and not very hard if you have the tools and the space. Remove leaf springs... put new ones back on and change the brake lines. Same with any bolt on lift I'd imagine. If you get around to it PM me and I'll help in any way.

If you get around to it PM me and I'll help in any way.

Thanks, Red; It will most probably be about a year or a year and a half before I get around to it (my current 31" tires are almost new, and I want to wear them out before I do the lift so that I can replace them with 33" tires and make the Jeep look better!), but I will take you up on the offer!

Felipe

4" seems to be the threshold at which they are needed. Some do, some don't. An automatic 4.0L would have the shortest driveshaft and the most likely to need one at 4", while the 2.5L with a standard would be the most likely to not have issues... but it seems with 4" lifts that you just have to put the suspension on and correct as needed.

4" seems to be the threshold at which they are needed. Some do, some don't. An automatic 4.0L would have the shortest driveshaft and the most likely to need one at 4", while the 2.5L with a standard would be the most likely to not have issues... but it seems with 4" lifts that you just have to put the suspension on and correct as needed.

Actually the auto(3speed) anyway is shorter then a 5speed. but imagine the 4sp is probably alittle longer.

One more (rookie) question:

What would be preferable to clear 33" tires: a RE 4" lift or a 2.5" lift + 1" BL?

Theoretically, both should clear 33" tires, but the 2.5" should maintain the center of gravity lower, right? Or is the 4" a better option?

One more (rookie) question:

What would be preferable to clear 33" tires: a RE 4" lift or a 2.5" lift + 1" BL?

Theoretically, both should clear 33" tires, but the 2.5" should maintain the center of gravity lower, right? Or is the 4" a better option?

RE 4" and a 1" BL ;)

Back