4.3 chevy

John B

helping a friend put a 4.3 v-6 motor and transmission in a 65 cj-5 the motor is out of a s-10 blazer mid-80's and he got the blazer give to him. and together we have good fab skills. has anybody done this to help us out?
and what do i need off of the blazer to make this work.

did the CJ5 come with a 4 or V6? The reason why I ask is that GM only has two styles of belhousing. And the 65 came with a Buick V 6, If you can machine, you'll prolly need to mill up an adapter, otherwise there's a couple places sell them Advance or Novak comes to mind off the top.

Last edited:
Get the wiring harness and 'puter for the 4.3L drivetrain. I take it you're going to use the stock Blazer transmission? Verify what side drop the transfer case is so you will know if it will work with the passenger side front diff in the CJ.

the cj has a 4 cylinder the f head with a t90/dana18. oh yea we plan on using wiring from the blazer. how strong is the np207 in the blazer i heard they are prone to failure. he is going to use and abuse the jeep. one more question i have a set of dana44's out of a 75 scout are they to wide for the jeep.

The front may be too wide to properly center under a narrowtrack frame without outboarding the spring perches. Maybe somebody here who knows CJ's better will know.

That dana/spicer 18 TC is considered by many to be the best out there ever. Even over the Dana 300. You may want to adapt that Blazer transmission to it.

as for the 700r4 its to long of a unit for a cj I used a sm465 trans along with a dana 18 transfercase
the 4.3 will need to be seated aprox 4 1/2 inches to the left with front of eng tilted up about 4 inches in front and 1 inch in rear to clear all your steering and starter and driveline yes its alot of very teidious measurements to make it sit right took me 5 days to get the proper alighnment I wanted before welding in mounts , just have patience till its right dont rush it

as for the np 207 its not going to work since its set up for driverside drop

the cj has a 4 cylinder the f head with a t90/dana18. oh yea we plan on using wiring from the blazer. how strong is the np207 in the blazer i heard they are prone to failure. he is going to use and abuse the jeep. one more question i have a set of dana44's out of a 75 scout are they to wide for the jeep.

If you keep the T90 it may be your weak link if you abuse it too hard. From experience I know they won't hold up behind a V8.

would a turbo350 transmission give us enough room in the jeep. if so would the eletronics from the blazer work.

anyway you look at it ,you want a rear drive shaft legnth of at least 22 inches any shorter ther will be drive line problems, turbo 350 would work with right tail shaft but most will be atleast 3 iinches longer than needed causing a bad alignment between transfercase and rear yoke most will come out closer to 16 inches wich is to short in my standards and also many others will agree causing a bad un balanced drive shaft causing wobble and major wear of parts in driveline alot faster than normal

:agree: This is one of the reasons I elected to go BACK to the F-134 and T90/18 instead of the Odd-fire Buick/350TH I have. It WAS set up for a 302 Ford. Cheapest way out.

I used to own a 87 s10 blazer 2wd it had a 700r4 auto;transmission it seemed too weak especially on hills. I would go with the 350 turbo trans if it will work....good luck..keep us posted...ps we love pics send us some!

yea i would love him to stay with the little f head. but he has other plans for the little cj-5. first he put 31/10.5 on it. them it started to over heat found out his distributor was bad(found the springs rolling around) fixed that. the gear on the bottom of the distributor was twisted on broken and it took out the gear on the camshaft. now he is fed up with the f-head. he is trying to do this on a budget. i even told him i would sell him my ihc 4 cylinder 196 if we could get it to fit. i have 75 Scout i use for parts.

Back