4.0L XJ Mileage ability

Mike1

Hi

Does anyone know what sort of Mileage you can expect from a 4.0L XJ auto under normal running conditions with the correct servicing in place.

How long should the motor and auto box last, all being well under these conditions?

Mike(SA) :?

The 4.0 if maintained properly should easily go in excess of 200,000, but i don't know about the transmission i would think it would do about the same if properly maintained.

Hi,

My Cherokee has about 409,000 miles (roughly) on it.

The original engine went about 355,000 of those miles before it gave up, and the original transmission (the dreaded Peugeot BA-10/5) is still working. :shock:

I used to get about 19.7 Miles per US Gallon when it had the second 4.0L engine in it. This of course was with the standard transmission, which in general are far more efficient than automatic transmissions. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Thanks for the info. guys. Is the overhaul on the motor pretty costly once it gives in?

Mike(SA)

I'm really not sure on this one, but I would think it would cost no more than most other motors, maybe even a little less. The simpler in-line design should make it a little easier to work on than say a V6 for example.

Back