36s and soa

burton

Im 19 and trying to balance college and my jeep. My 83 cj7 is stock right now w/ 31s and I was at a show last weekend and all i saw was big offroad rigs w/ 36+ tires. After that I knew I needed some 36s. I want to do a soa but i got the usual dana 30 and 20 deal. I want to go w/ either 44's front and rear or keept the 30 up front till it breaks and go w/ a 44 or ford 9" rear. I also saw these bolt on spring perches from lou fering racing and I heard about a guy using them for a soa and i was interested in using them. I also want to use yj springs but im looking to do this as cheap as possible since the tires are going to be like $900, any advice on the cheapest way to do a soa and the axle deal would be great, thanks

Well I can answer part of your question here...since I am not good in YJ's or leafs..but I do know that the 30 is way too weak to take 36" tires..
you will have to get a 44 up front before you do the tire change.

the SOA is not really expensive as long as you have a welder and know how to use it.... the 30 up front MAY take the 36's because it will never see more than half the torque that the rear will, but it COULD still break, anything can break, especially with the stress of larger parts

if you have any specific questions on the soa... ask away

price check on isle 7

ya i think i might get a set of scout 44's, some guy was selling them for like 200, but I might wait and check out some junk yards for a set cheaper even though 200 sounds good to me. And I was just going to grind off the perches and shock mounts and use those bolt on perches and just weld in new shock mounts. All I need are some yj springs but I want to find some for next to nothing. I cant tell if my leaf springs are crap or not but I do have a question about that for you snitty. Every time I drive my cj and i hit a bump theres a loud squeek from the suspension. I cant tell if i just need new shocks or if my springs are done. Any help on any of this from you or anyone would be great

the noise could be from the bushings, or it could be your springs rubbin on each other... no big deal if that's the case.. just crap between them.

as far as buying YJ springs... you can use any springs, they don't have to be FROM a YJ... you can measure your desired length, and use the 2.5" width... that will increase your spring width to a YJ width, and then you can use springs from any center pinned 2.5" leaf

if you have stock suspension, it is unlikely that they are greasable... you can spray some pb blaster on all of the bushings.. and try to get them between all of the springs too... that should help

i had the same "squeak" i think, turned out to be a broken leaf in the middle of the spring pack..

Back