35's with a 2.5L?

MuddinYJ88

RE: Change wrangler Serpendine Belt

I have an 88 Yj with the 2.5L 4 banger and a 5 speed, i was just wondering if 35's are gonna be too much. It is a daily driver but i dont commute too much, maybe 8500 miles a year. im planning on a 6" lift with 35's and 4.56's to 4.88's. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. also on what mts have good treadlife. im thinking of the baja claw radials or mtrs. thank you

RE: Hate to bash, but....

I don't know much about gears and stuff, but I know that you can gear it low enough to where the 4banger will be ok with those tires and still cruise down the road at 60-70. There was a CJ-7 that was set up like that for sale that I looked at. Good luck with the mods. I like the X-terrain's for the looks, but I think the Goodyear's look good too and I think they will last longer. Also the Mickey T's and Procomps are directional which have their good and bad sides, where as the Goodyears are not directional so they have an advantage I believe.

With a 4 banger you may want to consider 5:38 gears. FOr longer tire wear I wouldn't recomment either the Xterrain, MT/R or MT. Maybe BFG Mudders?

RE: Hemi Jeep or Restore My 87 Wrangler?

Directional tires tend to do better in the mud, but offer less lateral traction than something like the MT/R or a mud terrain. I agree with Twisted on the gears; 4.56 is really more for when power is not as much of an issue as highway rpm and crawl ratios. With a 4 banger, I would go with 4.88-5.38. The baja claw will have the shortest tread life of the tires you listed and be the loudest on the freeway--it's really just an offroad tire for those who don't have a trailer for their rigs. I think that both the MT/R and the Xterrain will have decent tread life, and both will do well in the rocks. From what I've heard, the MT/R sucks in the mud, and I have no idea about the Xterrain. I love my BFG muds, but mud terrains they are not. Then again, the only time they got me stuck in the mud was in the mud pit at Hollister just after the top truck challenge finished.

thank you guys so much. im starting to think bfg mts. they seem to have the best treadlife, decent in mud and lower price than most. i just wish that tread pattern was a little more aggessive, but you get what you pay for.

what lift are you going with?? and if your running the stock axles, the deepest you can go is 4.88's. go mt/rs if you want tread life.

Back