33" vs. 35" Tires

Special_K

I'm probably going to have to get new tires pretty soon and I'm kind of thinking of going from 33" to 35" meats.

Also, I want a set of tires with an aggressive tread but which also has reasonable wet pavement traction since I my YJ is my primary vehicle. My current set of tires often lose traction with even a drop of water on the street.

I have a '95 YJ with a 4" suspension lift and a 1" shackle lift. How much more lift would I need for a set of 35's? Any recommendations as to the type or size of tire I should get?

Thx!!

A 1 inch body lift will set you up fine. But with the 35s the stock YJ flares will need some trimming. Maybe even cut some body to clear way for those tires. Maybe TJ flares are a new mod. Now you need to think about your axles. I assume you are running the stock dana 30/35 in your jeep. If you are staing on the street you will be fine. But the stock dana 35 wont be able to handle the 35's if you start to wheel it. You might need gears too. 35's is a whole new ball game.

i havent had trouble w. my MT/R's except onetime it was sprinkling and im not sure what happened but i ended up smoking the sh*t out of them. (my friends were very impressed) what are you running now?

I've got a set of 33x12.50 dunlop radial mud rovers and they do suprisingly well in rainy conditions. I used to have some wide climber rvt radials in the same size and they sucked in rain. I'd go with 33s if I were you, the dana 35 is a twig of an axle and spending the money to regear em to accomodate 35s is a waste of money. With the 5 inches of lift you already have you should have decent flex with 33s.

35's are definitely a whole new ball game. I'd stick with 33's and start saving for a Ford 8.8 or a rear 44 before thinking about 35's. The day my D35 snaps... I'm getting an 8.8 from www.ok4wd.com... brand new with 4.10 gears, disc brakes, and limited slip for less than a grand.

corey

I'm running Bridgestone Dueler Revo's and love them to death. Great wear, super wet traction, cool lookin' tread - they've done great for me off-road, but I don't know how they'd be on the extreme stuff. Check 'em out @ tirerack.com.

Im runnin the 33-12.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers and their the best tire ive seen yet.

Back