304, 360, or 401

I have a 350 an original transmission I think a t15 in a cj5 1970. Had the 258 V6.

What parts on my transmission will break first and do you suggest another transmission. Or part upgrades.:)

hey im havin a hard time findin any of these motors in my area... im wantin the 360 where do yall find these at?

are you looking for a amc 360 or any 360? they are dime a dozen up here in the north east. pretty much any FSJ could have a AMC 360 and while harder to find, they also were found in many amc passenger cars. the 401's are the hard motors to find.

If you just want any 360, lots of mopar 360's are out there, Mopar put them in just about everything from the late 60's till roughly 2004 when they switched to the Hemi. I think (and I mean think) the new dakota's v8 uses a similar motor casting as the 360, but they call it a 318?? I recall seeing something like this somewhere, but I can not validate it.

lookin for the amc 360 so itll be a easier bolt up or the amc 304?

The 401 is the same block as the smaller motors also! Something I didn't know when I got my 401 was that the Javelin 401 had a little more power than the 401 used in the Cherokee's.

Dodge 360 won't bolt in place of the AMC motor without adapter$.
I'm pulling the AMC 360 from my '82 Honcho to put in the built 304 I have from a '77 AMX (I ran it for 4 years in my '73 J4000 as a car/trailer hauler. 6500lb loads and 17 mpg highway at the same time. Gotta love it!)

well, had the 304, nice motor, changed it out for a 401/390 that I picked up real reasonable.. put a rayjay turbo on it, had the compound low 4sp transmission, plenty strong, Dana front and rear, 4.88's.. lockers.. berkely suspension, all the goodies, loved it, went through the mountains like a whisper in the wind.. crawled dang near straight up a tree, no complaints whatsoever.. now my YJ has this little 2.5L, kills me just trying to go up a small hill in town, much less off road, so I picked up a 4.0L and I think it will be great.. lighter than the 401, powerful enough to do anything I want to do.. and gets better mileage too.. but...... IF, I only had 304, 360, or 401 to decide on, I'd go 401 and be done with it.. just don't go drag racing.. take it easy and respect those inches.. As to roll cages, go with a full cage and anchor that sucker to the frame,, I see so many that are just bolted to the floor pan.. worthless.. unless your in it for the looks.. won't protect you if your seriously wind up needing it.. and a good body belt is advisable.. criss cross, over the lap, and between your legs.. nothing like suddenly realizing your not behind your wheel like you started out when you went up or down that steep ridge..

Back