30" or 31" tires?

JeepinSE

Hello everyone!

I just bought me first jeep a few weeks ago and I love it. ('01 TJ SE) Always wanted one and glad I finally did.

Now, I'm new to Jeepin, so I don't know what about all the mods yet, but I want to learn.

I just bought some AR-767 rims 15x8 and I want to get some tires when I get paid. My jeep came with 205 75 15s and I want something bigger. I can't afford a lift yet, so I'd like to put either 30x9.50 15s or 31x10.50 15s on my Jeep. Will the 31" tires fit ok w/o a lift? How will this affect the gear ratios? Will I still be able to use 5th gear? Would it be better to stick to the 30" tires or does it really make much of a difference?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with these questions.[addsig]

Welcome to the board Jeepin :)

I have a 99 Sahara, and It came with the 30's. I have no problems with the gear ratio, but I also have the 6 cylender. However, I see no reason why you can't go to 30's or larger with the stock set up. As far as size without lift, what do you plan on doing with your Jeep ?
Serious off roading, or just some light trails. Maybe even keeping her on pavement for awhile and enjoying the looks. The 31's will fit, but will rub during tight cornering and hard flex ( the pushing up and down of the wheel while going over and through obstacles). I would suggest the 30's if you are just starting out in the Jeepin' thing, and when you get your lift, go to a bigger tire.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

I plan on using my Jeep 90% of the time. When I'm off-road it will generally be light trail stuff, nothing to hardcore.

I was thinking that I could get a 1" or 2" body lift in about 6 to 9 months. That's why I'm leaning toward the 31s. Does that sound alright?[addsig]

yup, it does. I would go with a 2 " coil spacer lift and 31's. I think (not REALLY sure, but almost lol) that 31's will be alright without the lift for now, just take it real easy, and no climbing over trees lol

Where are you located ?

Rob :p :cool: :)

edited by: PASmokeater, Apr 24, 2003 - 05:39 PM[addsig]

Welcome JeepinSe!

I asked the same question some months ago and the answers here are pretty much dead on. I have the P215's but I would like to go to 31's, but as Rob said in an earlier post, it depends on what you do with your Jeep. I live in Chicago and may never see any trails unless I get to the Badlands in Indiana one of these years! Anyways, I would like the 31's but I am not sure if they are practical. They look cool, but so do the 30's. It's all up to you though! Have fun! By the way, I still have the P215's!

edited by: Jeep#3, Apr 24, 2003 - 05:53 PM[addsig]

As to the 30's and gear ratio part, i have a 97 with a 4cyl and an automatic. I run 30's without any problem. Now dont get me wrong, its no drag car of the line, but its not bad considering what it is.

Hope this helps a little

Nathan[addsig]

if you are considering a body lift... you can use the ol' hockey puck trick for a 1" lift... i would not ever go with more than 1"... not because of safety reasons... but for practicality... if you want lift... get a lift.. if you want clearance.... get a lift, and maybe toss in a small amount of space[addsig]

i thought it was just as cheep as a body lift???[addsig]

Hey bro...congragulations on your new purchase. I have a 02' TJ SE, and I just put 31x11.5x15 on this week, and I rides pretty good. Its a little shakey around 70 mph on the freeway but that has to do with the fact that they are chunky Super Swamper LTB's. The gears are fine, you can tell a little difference nothing too big, your 5th gear will be just fine. I am going to throw some exhaust, intake and a throttle body spacer to gain the power and then some that I lost through the bigger tires. Dont worry though bro...."bigger is better".......Romp :p [addsig]

When I decide to get the lift, what is the difference between coil spacers and a body lift? What are the pros and cons?

Thank you in advance to everyone that helps "the newbie" me![addsig]

Hey man welcome to the board and to the world of Jeep ownership. This is a great place to get questions answered or just to talk to other Jeepers. I just went with 30" on my TJ sport a little more than a year ago and I love them. I thought about 31" but went against it when I found out that they would rub a little in the front. If you are going to go with a 1" body lift then go with the 31" The only reason I didn't lift mine was becauseI was told that I would void the warrenty.......[addsig]

the coil spacers will raise the frame and body (as they're bolted together) the body lift will raise the tub off the frame as the lifts go in between.

we all have our preferences, but the daymarks 1' poly lifts i used on bluebelle are one piece and were execellent. from what i understand, all the others reguire that you add a spacer to the original pads, not replace the body bushing. as your's is a new rig, that may not be a problem.

the 31's work well on belle. the will rub depending on the angle of your turns, but you can easily control that from the cockpit. as for the gearing, yes, the larger dia will reduce your acceleration, increase your fuel consumption in city mode, but has the opposite effect on the highway.

go for the 31's - they just look 'right' on the little jeep.

blue[addsig]

UPDATE: Well, I went ahead and got the 31s. Man they look soooooo much better than the 205x75x15s that were on before. As far as rubbing, not a problem. I've turned the wheel as sharp as I could in either direction and no rubbing at all. The gearing difference is noticable, but not to bad. I can only use 5th if I'm going pretty fast, and then my RPMs are still pretty low. Seems a little slower up hills as well, even when I downshift. Still not to bad though. The speedometer is also off, but I knew that would be the case. I'm gonna get that recalibrated this week.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the advice![addsig]

Back