2nd gear on my tj

jpp1221

when i shift into second it sometimes makes a weird kind of thud sound, it doesn't scratch it just feels like it goes into gear rough, its an 04 and everything works fine just that is the only thing, it's also worse when my engine is cold, once it gets warmed up the problem is rare but still occurs, and if i shift fast it usually doesn't happen. When i try to gently put into 2nd it makes that kind of thud sound. any ideas or just bad shifting on my part?

thanks

does this thud happen while the clutch pedal is depressed or as you let it out? the center of the clutch friction disc has a shock absorbing assembly that consists of four springs in a circle around the center hub and if some of these springs are broken it can make a noise, but not usually untill you let out the clutch. if the noise happens as you move the gearshift there may be an internal problem with the transmission. thanks, john

when depressed, but the problem has not been happening lately... kinda weird. It does not happen when i shift down to the left, like towards myself, but if i shift a lil right it happens. Hope that does not confuse you, but i think it's all right it's been running great. Thanks for the help

Back