2100 Carb Question

jay79cj7

Ok, so I hate to post yet another 2100 thread, but oh well...

I am probably going to put the 2100/2150 on my 258 this winter. I don't want to pay that ebay guy 300 bucks, so I'm going to get either a junkyard, ebay, or a parts store carb. I have done several web searches and read all about it, but there are a couple things I can't find.

1) Which models came with an electric choke? I don't want to have to shell out for an extra electric choke if I can just buy a carb with one in the first place. I have read you can take the bimetal out of the Carter choke and swap it over, but my Carter has an exhaust heated choke, but now that I have a different exhaust manifold I can't hook it up. This is why I want electric.

2) Does it matter that I have an auto transmission? A friend told me it does, but all these write-ups just reference a certain year/model donor car with no mention of whether its for a manual or auto trans. I have a TH400, so if it matters I need one for an automatic.

Thanks as always guys.

Im planning on doing this as well, anyone know if you can throw a manual choke on it?

Go to the salvage yard, if you have one nearby, and look under some hoods. All of them I have looked at had an electric choke. Of course I know some didn't, but you can look and see what years and models you need. I found an electric choke on an early 80s model V8 pickup to replace my bad one. As far as the automatic, I think the only difference is in the linkage. Some had kickdown linkage for passing and some didn't.

anyone know how to run the cable for a manual choke

I don't have a junk yard around me. I wish I did for this and several other projects. That said, I know people have done this leg work already... Anybody care to chime in?

Back