2006 Jeep Rear End Problem

Thanks for your posts dragon 5126 , I look forward as a new member myself to your tech. Always looking for that . I still read your post on PCM repair. Thanks again ! Greg

I respect what your saying with regard to differential rebuild as it is nuts and bolts and checking clearance like engine bearings . Less work than an engine too . The trick is to get the crush collar torque and preload right in one shot or disassembly is certain. But I think from the photos , too much got trashed . The case is scarred and so much will have to be replaced that I'm thinking a whole carrier swap would be worth , and yes , go for the rear disc from a grand cherokee. But you know your on to something , if he is getting the rear disc set up from the cherokee , and its a Dana 35 , may as well get the ring and pinion set too . Even if it needs fresh bearings , shims and thrust washers and such , he gets what he needs . Good call !

Last edited:

Thanks for your input! Dumb question… Can I buy a new rear differential assembly with all of the internal gears that matches my 3.07 ratio rather that swap out the axle? I (think) can buy that for $400 new with a warranty. Local salvage people can only find them(D35/44) around 1500+$400-$500 labor. I can't find anyone who will do a swap for an 8.8.

Parked with only 5 weeks of owner ship. Your thoughts? Forgive my ignorance. If you want to talk guitars and finances/health care reform etc... I'm all over it. Fixing a Jeep…not so much.

Thanks, Will

Swapping in an axle is something that you can do yourself (I'm not talking about opening up the axle, just taking out the old axle and putting in the new). It's just a matter of jacking up your Jeep, unbolting the old one, and putting in the new one. You may have to bleed the brakes, but we can walk you through that. As long as you jack it up safely you've got nothing to loose, and if you get stuck, just tow it to the shop and give them the $500 they originally wanted.

As to finding an axle, give these guys a call - car-part.com says that they have an axle with the right gear ratio:

Rear Axle
Jeep Wrangler
4.0,5 SP,4X4
116,849 A
113029 $Call
Lambert Auto Salvage USA-MS(Booneville)
1-877-728-0409

I'm not surprised about Lamberts. I live in Booneville and will drive out of my way to find parts. He is rediculous.

You will need the shims front the differential case to reinstall to the new case before the side bearings are pressed on and clearance must be checked. You will also need a ring and pinion set with new bearings and crush collar and shims reused and pinion seal. All clearances must be checked upon final assembly . Also , this would be a good time to replace the right and left wheel bearings and seals if not previously done . Make certain torque and preload is performed correctly.

I agree Greg. unfortunately, like any mechanical job, until it is torn down, you just don't know whats trashed and what isn't. Even if the whole housing is shot, this is a great place to learn by doing a tear down. No sense wasting a good malfunction when you get the chance to learn by it, even if it is just learning what you don't ever want to do in the future ( sage advice from my late father). And when ever replacing one thing out of necessity, make the best of it by using it as an excuse to upgrade, something I learned on a 76 Cherokee S decades back. Life is funny. it always throws a wrench in the works at the worst time for us, like the 98 GC sitting in the back, igg went out along with my back, But I have learned, if you take advantage of it and make things better than they were before hand, you don't get pushed back, you come out on top. And surprisingly, That IS a jeep thing! its where and how I learned it. I taught it to my kids, and share it as much as possible.
Have a good one!

I agree Greg. unfortunately, like any mechanical job, until it is torn down, you just don't know whats trashed and what isn't. Even if the whole housing is shot, this is a great place to learn by doing a tear down. No sense wasting a good malfunction when you get the chance to learn by it, even if it is just learning what you don't ever want to do in the future ( sage advice from my late father). And when ever replacing one thing out of necessity, make the best of it by using it as an excuse to upgrade, something I learned on a 76 Cherokee S decades back. Life is funny. it always throws a wrench in the works at the worst time for us, like the 98 GC sitting in the back, igg went out along with my back, But I have learned, if you take advantage of it and make things better than they were before hand, you don't get pushed back, you come out on top. And surprisingly, That IS a jeep thing! its where and how I learned it. I taught it to my kids, and share it as much as possible.
Have a good one!

I agree with regards to a learning experience , that's where most of us started . Busted knuckles and emergency room visits for stitches , ahh what memories !! Not to scare anyone , approach any job with a plan and common sense , you can pull it off right and save cash . Upgrades are always smart if you can , for example , replace a troublesome or weaker trans or t-case for stronger ones , always a better plan. Had a '78 cherokee that the rear shaft was the pathetic ball and trunnions u-joint and upgraded to a spicer joint . Funny you should mention a '98 grand , I just inherited a 4.0 litre from one. My younger brother decided to go four wheeling on a public street and hit a berm , a Hyundai excel. We stripped it wrecking yard style but I did not get the rear disc set up since it was in a tight garage and couldn't pull the axles until it was rolled out .
Asked my brother who said "yeah , I'll pull them off when the wrecker comes". That didn't happen since I was working and mom and dad didn't want it there any longer. Missed out. Major bummer. Too slow , my fault. Disc rear would have been nice in my XJ. Sorry about your back and the ignition on your GC , you'll get 'er done when your back says so. No problem.
I say to jaythebaron and willberry grab some wrenches and tear it apart just for the experience if you would like for next time as yes , it's a jeep thing ! Jeeps break and we fix them . It's as natural as cutting the lawn . Thanks again for your posts dragon 5126 and hope your back on the trail soon . Greg

Last edited:
well guys after 3 weeks parked it looks like I am going to buy 2 axles... a dana front 30 and rear 35 with a 4:11 ratio each and have them installed. The guy I am buying from is local and will sell me the 2 axles for $750 and put them on for $450 and he is the local axle diff guy everyone told me to find. He does want to keep my broken rear and good front as part of the deal. I am looking at $1000+ to rebuild and have 3.07 again…or $1000 plus $400-$500 to install a new 3.07…this seems like the best fix as I will end up with a set of 4.11 gears front and back. Thoughts?

Well, as someone who does rebuild axles, it's not uncommon to want and keep the old parts for myself. However, this gives you room to bargin. Not sure want the labor rates are in your neck of the woods, so I can't comment on the over all price. I would try to bargin the price down a little, afterall those leftover parts of yours are pure profit for him.

From what I've been told, $600-$800 per axle would be a normal price for gears and installation, so if you had just upgraded to 4:11s, you would have spent $1400.

Ask how much to install lockers in the future (see if he'll cut you a deal when you get to that point).

Back