2003 jeep 2.4 coil

Mdrosejr

I noticed today that my jeep idle sounded strange then I popes the hood and noticed that the coil is cracked right on the top and it was arching out of the crack. Then I noticed my exhaust pipe was really glowing. I was wondering if the problems are related.

I'm not sure, but the cracked coil could have caused a miss fire and caused a cylider to run hot, but If it got to the point of glowing I just hope there was no internal damage.. I replaced my coil with and msd coil upgraded wires and basic champion plugs... And she runs great !! Mines an 06 btw, good luck!

Sent from my iPod touch using Jeepz

I noticed today that my jeep idle sounded strange then I popes the hood and noticed that the coil is cracked right on the top and it was arching out of the crack. Then I noticed my exhaust pipe was really glowing. I was wondering if the problems are related.

the coil needs replaced for sure. as for the pipe, what part of the pipe? and how red/ orange was it ?

The Cracked coil you should replace (YES)

Glowing cherry red exhaust was it the catalytic if so needs to be replaced (YES)
a clogged catalytic will cause exhaust to glow cherry red

most likely the bad coil caused performance issues throwing off computer causing your air fuel mixture to run rich causing a chain reaction fouling plugs,killing o2 sensor , and burning up the catalytic
Check see what codes come up before replacing everything else other than the 2 in red

Back