1998 TJ Throttle Body & Spacer

bamafan1

Does changing the throttle body and spacer really add that much HP? Mine 4.0L. My neighbor has a 2008 & he said it made a significant change. He also added a cold air intake.

I've got a cold air intake and can say that it doesn't make any difference that you could notice. JP magazine did a great write up a couple of years ago, putting each intake on and running the Jeep on a dyno - most intakes seemed to make about 10 extra hp. Not bad, but you'll probably never notice it.

Jeep TJ Wrangler - Intake Shootout - Jp Magazine

As to the throttle body, I think that putting a 4.0 throttle body on a 2.5L Jeep is said to be a good upgrade, but the jury is still out on a throttle body & spacer on the 4.0.

You can read our main discussion of spacers here:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/jeep-performance/22475-do-throttle-body-spacers-really-work.html

A throttle body will only make a real difference if it's allowing more airflow into the intake, like the 4.0 to the 2.5 will. If you get more air in faster, you can put more fuel in, and make more hp. If you add more air and not more fuel, you're not going to notice a huge difference.

Without doing it all at once, it's like taking a fire hose and choking it down to a garden hose. You can put all the water in you want, but the output amount will always be restricted. If you're serious about wanting to get more power, get an intake, throttle body, injectors, and header/exhaust.

Consider a 62mm throttle body. The larger bore will allow more power to be made, power you will feel. The largest improvement when using a 62mm TB is the lightning fast throttle response as there's no taper beneath the throttle plate as there is in stock TB's.

I have 62mm TB's and spacers available, send me a PM if interested.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Consider a 62mm throttle body. The larger bore will allow more power to be made, power you will feel. The largest improvement when using a 62mm TB is the lightning fast throttle response as there's no taper beneath the throttle plate as there is in stock TB's.

I have 62mm TB's and spacers available, send me a PM if interested.

Brand? Price? New or used?

Leigh Performance Machine

this guy does a great job. i got one of his for my 87 cherokee with 4.0 and it made such a difference that i didn't regear my axles. the guy's name is jeff and he does this stuff from his house because he is a machinist and a jeep wrangler guy

i didn't even see the line where you said you had them available, sorry

I got mine from BH and on my 2.5L TJ with a spacer, it made a huge difference. I can't say about the 4.0L. I now have a 4.0L YJ, but haven't messed with it yet.

Back