1997 Jeep TJ towing capacity

GaryJCoz

I have a 1997 Jeep TJ 6cyl manual trans, and I also own a couple of quads. I currently have a 14' utility trailer, but I'm looking to upgrade to an enclosed 6x12 trailer single axle. The quads weigh 500# +/-, and I snow plow with one of them. I also want to keep some quad-essentials in the trailer with them (maybe even my generator 100# +/-). Am I putting too much on my TJ? Trailer approx 1,200#, quads 500# ea, generator 100#, misc 200# +/- total=2,500# +/-. I don't live in the mountains, but I would like to trailer the quads there. Thoughts?

Towing capacity for the TJs:
4 cyl. Short wheelbase (SWB) = 1,000 lb.
6 cyl. Short wheelbase (SWB) = 2,000 lb.
6 cyl. Long wheelbase (LWB or LJ) = 3,500 lbs.

Oh yeah, welcome to Jeepz.com :)

Thanks for the welcome. I understand the reasoning is because of the wheelbase; not the motor. What is the feeling of pulling an enclosed at around 2,500# with a 6cyl manual short wheelbase? Is it totally not recommended, or wouldn't that 500# make much of a difference?

Thanks again

i could be wrong, but i think the manual transmission in '97 capped your towing capacity at 2,000. that's off the top of my head, so i could be wrong.

The short wheel base you will feel it especially in wind or when a large veh passes you. It will sway quite bad. Almost scary. Especially if loaded improper. 2500 lbs isn't much but it's enough to throw a short wheel base around.

sorry, i misread the posts above. you already got that info.

i've heard of disasters with wranglers towing very much. specifically one in the late '80s involving a small horse trailer.

i do a bit of towing myself, and there are few times i feel as helpless as when i have to slam on the breaks pulling a load. as much as you set out to take it easy, you just cannot control the idiocy of those around you. your single axle trailer likely has no trailer brakes, and if you had to hit the brakes hard or swerve to miss something, you'd likely be screwed.

not worth it, IMO. but that's not to say you couldn't do it, and survive it. those are my thoughts.

The short wheel base you will feel it especially in wind or when a large veh passes you. It will sway quite bad. Almost scary. Especially if loaded improper. 2500 lbs isn't much but it's enough to throw a short wheel base around.

yes, that too. sway could easily get out of hand. your jeep could begin fishtailing and skidding side to side going down the highway, even. with no trailer brakes, you wouldn't be able to do much to stop it.

i experienced that nearly twenty years ago, with a poorly distributed load of railroad ballast behind a four door dually. scary as shit.

A lot also depends upon the load weight and braking ability of the trailer in relation to the weight of the of the tow vehicle. If the trailer load is properly balanced the tongue weight on the hitch can be made to not overload the tow vehicle springs and/or hitch rating in most cases. Assuming that the tongue weight is proper most problems begin when the weight of the tow vehicle can’t stop the inertia of the trailer. In this situation, particularly under a hard stop, the trailer will continue to push forward as the tow vehicle slows. All of the force from the trailer transfers to the tow vehicle at the ball of the hitch and when the force overrides the weight on the rear axle of the tow vehicle the rear end will lift off the ground and push to the side generally causing the tow vehicle to loose control and crash. Good brakes on the trailer do mitigate this problem but still the trailer weight and tow vehicle weight need to be within certain ratios. I’m not an engineer so I can’t tell you what the ratios are but I have seen the effects of a too heavy load for the tow vehicle first hand several times and it’s not pretty.

I thought the tow rating on a TJ was 1500 lbs regardless of the engine while a TJ Unlimited is 3000 lbs but I could be wrong.

Thank you all for your opinions and help. It is greatly appreciated. I definitely don't want to wreck. If that was the case I wouldn't bother putting my toys in a nice trailer! lol. Would a stabilizer bar offer much help for this extra 500# or should I stop trying to come up with ways and excuses?

same answer as before. it would help, you could likely survive it... but it wouldn't make it safe. you'd still be relying on someone not to do something even a little stupid around you... and i don't trust the dumbasses around here that much at all. in fact, i'm usually more correct to assume they will.

same answer as before. it would help, you could likely survive it... but it wouldn't make it safe. you'd still be relying on someone not to do something even a little stupid around you... and i don't trust the dumbasses around here that much at all. in fact, i'm usually more correct to assume they will.

How true. Thank you again.

It's a tough call, you're right at that line of having too much weight. You also have the fact it's an enclosed trailer working against you as you'll be fighting cross-winds as well. It's a fine line to cross before the tail begins to wag the dog LOL.

You have a very light d35 rear axle so that will be a weak spot when it comes to handling tongue weight + passengers, and torque capacity when getting that trailer moving. Your brakes will also be marginal at best.

Working in your favor is the powerhouse 4.0L engine and the manual transmission, much more adept at towing than an auto.

actually, the manual had a much lower towing capacity than the auto. even xjs that year had only 2,000 tow rating with manual and 4.0, but 5,000 with aw-4.

the aw-4 is a great transmission for towing, although the 1-2 gear position on the selector was problematic on lower speed, steep hills when engine braking was desired.

Back