1996 cherokee wont start please HELP

parris87

Ok about a week i go i started my jeep and it started fine except for this loud like breaking sound coming from the steering column. it startled me so i turned the jeep off when i tried to turn it back the jeep would not start the heater comes on all the dash lights. no radio in to know if it still working. the switch was kinda messed up i had to turn it several times to get the lights to go off before this. the starter does not make a single noise. i got it started again the same day by just turning the key on and off very quickly. but know i get nothing. anyone have an idea of what it could be i was told by a friend of mine it sounded like the ignition switch went bad. would this be a good guess. its not the starter as i got it started. im not a mechanic but i can change out parts on help would be great.

Yup either the switch at the bottom of the steering column or the rod that pushes on it.

Yepper --- I Believe Jester has this one wired! With the sound the Original Poster has described --- It sure sounds like the Ignition Switch. Also, with the Switch bad -- there would be NO 12V signal to Starter Solenoid--- Thus NO sound from the Starter. - JB

ok so i replaced the ignition switch now i can here the fuel pump but the starter still makes no noise what so ever but now my gen and check engine light are on what should i do now.

No noise from the starter --- Correct? OK . . . The. Manual Sez to start with the Battery --- So that. is the place to start. Pull the Battery from the Jeep--- IF you DON'T have a Hydrometer or at Least A DMM to check the Battery? Then You can Take it to: Auto Zone --- Have a LOAD Test performed -- to Confirm that the Battery is GOOD. Clean BOTH Battery Terminals --- With a Battery Cleaning Tool. ( Is your battery 3 + Years old??). With a Good battery and Clean Terminals -- Does the JEEP start Now? Does the ENGINE turn over ? IF it still does not CRANK --- You will Need a DMM (Multimeter) to check IF your starter solenoid is getting a 12V signal --- To tell the Starter to ENGAGE. Remember Guys--- When we start the JEEP -- The starter LOOKS like a DEAD SHORT to the Battery -- That can Require a BUNCH of CCA's --- To turn the Engine over (Cold Cranking Amps) Battery Voltage Can Dip as low as 9.6V when we crank the motor over. Good Luck! Keep us Posted. ---- JB

If the ignition switch is on the lower section of the column tube and is actuated by a rod on the upper column with the key tumbler, make sure its adjusted properly. If this is the case, even if the igintion tumbler engages the run position of the switch but if mis-adjusted, it may not reach the start circuit when you crank on it.

ok so i replaced the ignition switch now i can here the fuel pump but the starter still makes no noise what so ever but now my gen and check engine light are on what should i do now.

Back