1988 Cherokee 4.0 4x4 front suspension

Jewel

Hello,

I have a 1988 Cherokee 4.0 4x4 Jeep. I was underneath it this morning looking at the suspension when I came across the center link to the pitman arm loose. The name of the bar I am speaking about came out of my manual as there were three bars and this was a bar that is connected to the pitman arm. There is a nut on top that has a carter pin in it. I put my fingers on the bottom of this bar and I can actually move it up and down. Since there is a nut on top it appears as if I could push the bar up and tighten it.

I took the carter pin out and got my socket out but it was to much for me to actually move. It does not appear damaged. However there is slack in it and I can feel it affect my driving/steering. Everything else appears to be in fine shape.

Can you explain to me how to tighten this . . .

Thank you kindly, Jewel

The bar is called a drag link and that is a tie rod end that threads onto the end of it. If you have movement in it then it's worn out and needs changed. The bolt part of it is tapered and will only tighten so much. They can be a pain to get out especially if the bolt spins but a good tie rod remover tool, aka pickle fork, usually does the job pretty good. Measure the length from that bolt to the lower one and make it the same length with the new one so you won't need an alignment.

Hello,

Thank you for replying . . . I will try to repair it myself, however, if I could not manage to repair it with parts such as pulling the thing apart to put on another, how dangerous is it if I would have to drive my Jeep into town as I live in the mountains and 20 miles away?

Peace, Jewel

Really depends on how loose it is. They have been known to come apart but I'd say it would have to be real loose or in a bind.

Back