1980 cj-7 258 cu. in. engine all original

is this your daily driver? how much time will it spend on the road?[addsig]

Plain and simlpy NO! For mild wheeling, your CJ will do just fine stock. When you get into the "Hardcore" stuff then you can think about dumping the coins for lockers. I know, everyones defination of hardcore is different, I define hardcore as anything that looks inpassable! Huge, battle scarred boulders, and rocks, rutted hill climbs.

Should you choose to go with lockers anyhow, your not going to see a huge difference in handling as long as you keep the front hubs unlocked. You will, however see a very HUGE difference in 4x4!
image-missing.png
You'll find that your turning radious will suffer. (unless you installed a eaton or ARB air locker that can be unlocked) it'll be much harder to steer.

When in icy conditions, you may find yourself doing 360's when not trying! If the extent of you rwheelling will be mild stuff, (fireroads, mild mud, light trails etc...) Then I'd recommend to start with, a locker in back (preferably an ARB air locker or the new eaton electric locker) and a limited slip in the front.

Keep in mind also, that lockers front and rear may get you into a situtation your not ready for! They will go where you point them!

[addsig]

Back