12 volt inverter. Flush mount?

XJNick said:
Hi,

I'd think the extension cord idea is the better way to do this. That is, plug the male end of the extension cord into the inverter's AC outlet, then chop the female end of the cord off and solder the wires to a mountable AC outlet.

And that is just what I did. I did open up the front to remove the power switch and moved that into the dash. All in all a pretty simple install.

When I finished I showed the wife and she said, "so, like, I could plug in my hair dryer and dry my hair and stuff?" Uggghhh. Not quite what I had in mind . :roll: Here are a couple of pics.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

RE: Windshield Wipers

it looks very nice.. that's what i owuld have done...

except... i'm not quite so sure that under the hood is the best place to keep something that has a fan to control heat

Nice south, thats exactly what my friends looks like!

Selectable Locker

Impressive... My invertor itself fit right on the transmission selector bezel, just to the right of the handle... It looks like it belongs there, been meaning to get pics as soon as I can... plugged in to the constant-on power... I like the way yours came out, very good use of an otherwise vacant panel...

looks sharp. How long did it take to do? How much was that inverter? You got me thinkin now.... another project to add to the long list... gee thanks. :D

Joopin said:
looks sharp. How long did it take to do? How much was that inverter? You got me thinkin now.... another project to add to the long list... gee thanks. :D

Thanks for the compliments. It took two days of working for a couple hours each day between the rain drops. Day one finding a place to mount and installing under the hood. I did that instead of inside because Roglstubb said his was under the hood and I figured why not. Heat and water will be a concern now though. I'll have to see how it does. Also day one running power wires. Day two was spent figuring out how to take apart the dash and running wires into the inside and cutting holes for outlet and switch.

Total cost: $42

Inverter $30 (froogle for the best price)
Outlet $2
15 foot extension cord $5
Misc wire $5

Man, that's a great job, South!! I have an inverter but use it so little that I'll just keep pluggin' it in, but that really looks sweet!!! Ya oughta send it to DC......add it as an option (with royalties to you, of course)!!!!!

I mounted mine pretty high under the hood in fact the hood insulation just barely hits it. I dont plan on taking my jeep swimming so water is much of an issue. Heat has caused it to shut down a few times so I will adventually use a 12 volt computer chassis fan to help cooling.

The main reason I choose to mount under the hood is that the short distance between it and the battery. It does not let voltage drop over a longer cord. 12.6 volts will drop to about 11.25 to 11.5 with about 8 feet of wire to go behind you seat if you were to mount it there. Since most inverter will shut down for low battery about 10.5 volts it will allow more run time for your inverter when your alternator is not running. It also seams to allow for more higher current items with my experience. The 120VAC will should not vary as much over distance which is one of the reasons they use AC in your home power lines.

Correct me if I am wrong isnt the battery in SWB jeeps still mounted close to the firewall? If so is there room to mount on the other side of the firewall on the inside?

My suggestion for under the hood mounting was so that the unit was close to the battery. However if you are able to mount inside using the the same or shorter length of cables/wires inside is obvoiusly better.

yes if you can find somewhere on the firewall... you can get away with less than 3ft of wire

Back