1.5 DIN Stereo! DVD, Ipod, Color Screen Info

kis86

Well, after researching forever, I've finally found a head unit that FITS into the stock 1.5 DIN slot. Here's the info on the Jensen VM8013HD. There is also a Jensen VM8013 that's out that just doesn't have the HD radio, everything else is the same.

I hate the way a single DIN stereo looks, with the ugly adapter...and the only way you can get a full color screen seems to be having one of those flip-up types, but it seems to me the bumpy ride and heat from the vents would damage it easily. This one has a full color screen, plays DVDs, has iPod input in the back so you can stick it in the glovebox and control it through the unit etc. :shock: usb in the front as well as auxillary for other mp3 players. Look up the model number on Crutchfield dot com for more easily read info :)

General features:

DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (17 watts RMS/40 peak x 4 channels)
HD Radio tuner built-in
3.5" color LCD screen, detachable face
fits GM/Chrysler 3" dash openings
audio/video features:
plays MP3/WMA files recorded on CD and DVD
supports video playback from DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and Video CD discs
three preset EQ curves
Expandability:
includes J-Link iPod cable
compatible with optional satellite radio
inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs, SD card slot, A/V input, rear-view camera input
outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, subwoofer)

---------------------

Technical

RMS Power Output 17 watts
Peak Power Output 40 watts
Preamp Outputs 6-channel
Subwoofer Preamp Outputs
Key Button Color Blue
Parts Warranty 1 Year
Labor Warranty 1 Year

---------------------

Expandability

iPod Connection/Control Built-in audio
Auxiliary Inputs Front
USB Input Front
Memory Card Slot SD
A/V Inputs 1
Satellite Radio Ready Optional
HD Radio Built-in
FM Presets 18
AM Presets 12
DVD-R Playback Yes
DVD-RW Playback Yes
CD-R Playback Yes
CD-RW Playback Yes
MP3 Playback Yes
WMA Playback Yes

Pic

image-missing.png

Price is about 200 bucks for the HD radio one, 180 for the regular one (Amazon). The HD model isn't out quite yet.

I didn't want to upgrade my stereo either, because I thought the single din would look bad, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The Ipod controls are awesome.

I installed the Pioneer DEH-P5000UB, mainly because it had Ipod controls, and it had adjustable subwoofer outputs. I would like to have that DVD playback on your Jensen. Post some photos once you get it installed.

Here's my Pioneer (the glare from the flash made it look shinier than it is).

Attachments

• jeep-radio.JPG
    jeep-radio.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 13,284

Looks like it works:

Audio And Video Playback: iPod video (5th generation), iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod nano (3rd/4th generation), iPod touch (1st/2nd generation), and iPhone/iPhone 3G

Here's all the info on the cable that it comes with for iPod:

Features

Overview: The Jensen jLink2 iPod Connecting Cable connects your compatible iPod to your Jensen headunit for audio/video playback and control. The jLink2 cable supports the following 12-series and 13-series headunits - HD5212, VM9312HD, VM9512HD, HD5313, VM8013HD, VM9313, and VM9413.

Note: This cable does not support Jensen 11-series headunits and some earlier 12-series headunits. Software is available that will update an earlier manufactured 12-series head unit so that it is compatible with the jLink2 iPod cable. There is no software available for 11-series headunits.

iPod Compatibility: The jLink2 cable is compatible with Jensen 12-series and 13-series headunits which feature a proprietary 8-pin jLinkDirect connector port. The jLink2 cable supports the following iPods.

Audio And Video Playback: iPod video (5th generation), iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod nano (3rd/4th generation), iPod touch (1st/2nd generation), and iPhone/iPhone 3G
Note: This cable is not compatible with 1st/2nd/3rd/4th generation iPods or iPod shuffle (1st/2nd generation).

Direct Radio Control: You can directly control audio functions of your iPod from your Jensen headunit's controls or IR remote (if applicable). During audio playback of your iPod, the iPod's controls will be locked. The jLink2 cable does not support photo and video control. Photo and video playback will still be controlled from your iPod's click-wheel or touch-screen.

Display Text: Your Jensen radio will display text information such as song, track or artist name from your connected iPod.

Photo & Video Playback: You are able to playback photos and videos on your in-dash Jensen headunit with built-in monitor when using a 5th generation or later iPod.

Direct Connection: The jLink2 gives you the best possible audio and video reproduction because the cable allows you to directly hookup your iPod to your Jensen headunit instead of using an external or wireless RF modulator.

Charges iPod: The jLink2 cable charges your iPod directly from your compatible Jensen headunit while connected and your vehicle's switch is in the accessory or start position.

Note: This cable will not charge the iPod nano (4th generation), iPod touch (2nd generation), or iPhone 3G without the Scosche passPORT (142IFWA).

Well, after researching forever, I've finally found a head unit that FITS into the stock 1.5 DIN slot. Here's the info on the Jensen VM8013HD. There is also a Jensen VM8013 that's out that just doesn't have the HD radio, everything else is the same.

Keep looking bro b/c that's a 1 DIN head unit. Pull up the manual for the 8013 and you'll see the opening required is 52mm tall. Must be a typo on Jensen's sight.

I would love to be proved wrong but, frankly, you can tell just by looking at the thing that it's not DIN and 1/2.

Hmm, I see conflicting info regarding the size, so you may be right! I'll do some more research and update again.

nice i installed a double din pioneer in my 02 tj try to post pics in a couple days

yes double din did cut dash and trim bezel i will post pics when my girlfriend gives me back my camera why do girls think they need to carry a camera in their purse at all times is beyond me

pics of my double din pioneer

Attachments

• j.jpg
    j.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 955
  • l.jpg
    l.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 504
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    647.2 KB · Views: 3,521
  • ok.jpg
    ok.jpg
    955.4 KB · Views: 345
  • yep.jpg
    yep.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,821
  • yes.jpg
    yes.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11,458
  • o.jpg
    o.jpg
    871.9 KB · Views: 6,904
I didn't want to upgrade my stereo either, because I thought the single din would look bad, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The Ipod controls are awesome.

I installed the Pioneer DEH-P5000UB, mainly because it had Ipod controls, and it had adjustable subwoofer outputs. I would like to have that DVD playback on your Jensen. Post some photos once you get it installed.

Here's my Pioneer (the glare from the flash made it look shinier than it is).

How easy is it navigate the i-pod functions with that screen? It seems like the single line text would be tough. Alpine makes one (i-Pod/AM-FM/HD/Sat only...no CD) and the screen and controls mimics the i-pod's.

J-Whiz....

Did you have to do any cutting to the inside of the dash?

The plastic that's on the left and right edges...is that something home built or is part of the install kit?

yes had to cut plastic out that was in between the factory stereo and the ac controls and it is from 07 to 09 install kit it comes with 2 different parts the whole sleeve and then the two side things all i used was the 2 side things and they mounted to the originals holes on the top and one of the bottom had to make a hole for the 4th mounting screw but it mounts in tight cds donts skipp and there is no wiggle in the unit

How easy is it navigate the i-pod functions with that screen? It seems like the single line text would be tough. Alpine makes one (i-Pod/AM-FM/HD/Sat only...no CD) and the screen and controls mimics the i-pod's.

Mine's got two lines of text. It's not hard to control at all. I do find myself setting up playlists inside ITunes though - if you have 300 artists on your ipod, and you want to find one particular one, you'll be scrolling for days using just the stereo interface. I'm not sure that other stereos really have a better way though.

This is the 6000, but it looks just like mine

Mine's got two lines of text. It's not hard to control at all. I do find myself setting up playlists inside ITunes though - if you have 300 artists on your ipod, and you want to find one particular one, you'll be scrolling for days using just the stereo interface. I'm not sure that other stereos really have a better way though.

This is the 6000, but it looks just like mine

nice

Back