YJ gas mileage

Jeepster05

I only get 14 mpg on the highway in my 1990 YJ 6cyl with 33's. One of my 4 wheelin buddies has a 94 Dodge Ram that gets better mileage. Do all jeeps just have rediculous gas mileage? [addsig]

My 4 banger gets 21 mpg. If you have not aready done so add a K&N air filter and check to see if your cat converter is stopped up have it removed if you live in an area where there is no inspection or get a cat back or other brand name cat and a good flow thru exaust system like a flowmaster or a good old fashion glass pack and your fule average will come up some what! Later Tug[addsig]

Jeepster05.

I have been looking for that extra milage for years. It seems whatever I do my YJ sticks right at 15mpg (on the average) no mater what I do. Re-gearing, MSD Ignition, Borla Headers, K&N intake, Larger exhaust. Get my point.

I have just learned to enjoy Jeeping, and when milage is improtant, I ride my bike.

[addsig]

Jeepster05.

I have been looking for that extra milage for years. It seems whatever I do my YJ sticks right at 15mpg (on the average) no mater what I do. Re-gearing, MSD Ignition, Borla Headers, K&N intake, Larger exhaust. Get my point.

I have just learned to enjoy Jeeping, and when milage is improtant, I ride my bike.

[addsig]

That's interesting. Double Vision. LOL
image-missing.png
[addsig]

A lot of it has to do with driving habits, slowing the top speed to the speed limit and taking it easy when accelerating from a stop. Shift earlier and it will make a big difference, maybe even 4 or 5 mpg.

Also check your PCV system and all the vacuum lines to make sure everything is working properly.[addsig]

Your doing a little better than I am, I make alot of short trips and have a tendancy to a heavy foot. Opening up the exhaust and the intake sounds resonable. A good and current tune-up helps. I have a tendancy to watch the Tach. and constantly aim for peak torque (around 2200 RPM) shift around there, cruise around there, don`t over rev when shifting. Seems to make a good compromise, between getting run over by a delivery truck and wasting fuel. Watching your vacumn system, is good advice, when my mileage goes, that´s usually the problem. My mileage goes up drastically on the highway, running steady at about 2000-2200 RPM.[addsig]

haha i get the worst mileage... right now i'm running lunch deliveries from a catering business, and its snowing. and i'm driving stop and go through a pretty busy town. i get something like 10 mpg b/c i'm goin' in 4wd (full time 4x4) to avoid dogs and poles. but the jeeps is great and the tips easily pay for gas.

image-missing.png

-nate[addsig]

I'm a little heavy footed too so I shift pretty late. I guess thats probably my problem I just like to hear my exhaust haha.[addsig]

Does anyone have a YJ with 35's? Do they kill your Gas mileage?[addsig]

Back