YJ Gas Gauge "Bouncing" ??

Syko

I've got an 87 yj, and had it for a few months now. The gas gauge bounces about every second, even when it's sitting still. I goes from the actual fuel level, down to the empty stopper, and then back up to the full mark, then back to the actual level. Any ideas on what could be causing it ?

I've seen fuel level sensors read wrong, but nothing like this. Could it be a wiring problem, or is for sure going to be in the level sensor ? As best I can tell, there's nothing wrong with the wiring leading into the tank. I have not removed the tank yet, but I'm thinking that's going to be the next step. Any help will be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks

It could be a number of things that could be wrong but it sounds like the gauge is bad. The gauge system on jeeps is a pulsing system and the gauges have grease in them th keep them from jumping around. Maybe the grease has leaked out. Or your sending unit is going bad. It may be loosing contact and then getting it back. Also the wiring could be grounding itself and then loosing ground. There's some good wright ups on the net to help with troubleshooting. you'll need an ohms meter to do the testing.

I dropped my gas tank yesterday at work, and found a small section of the fuel level sending unit rheostat burnt. I cleaned it as best I could with a file, then put it all back together. So far it's working better, but I want to replace it. Oreillys and the dealer both have discontinued it.. Go figure..

Thanks for the help

Back