YJ 2.5L Carb

gsaade

Hello, I am new here and this is my first post. I need some help with my YJ and hope you guys can help.

I bought an 88 YJ 2.5L with a carb conversion. The main issue I am having is that the fuel mileage is extremely low. Around 8mpg. I have changed all the filters, oil, maintenance is up to date.

I am no expert on the subject but I have asked around and it seems that the carb they used to make the conversion came out of a 1.5L car. Is it too small or it does not really matter?

What size carb is the proper? down where i leave it is pretty difficult to get Weber carbs so I will use something from a Toyota or Nissan that I can easily get.

Thanks,

GS

Hello and welcome to jeeps.com. I don't seem to have the CFM specs on the YFA carburetor which was not held in very high regard . I once wasted time rebuilding one for a jeep Cherokee (XJ) , a 1984 my older brother no longer owns . I ran but between the engine (2.5) being anemic and the carb just horrid , he gave up,and sold it. I think it is best to search for a replacement carb to the YFA . I don't remember if any Rochester fit but not likely to find one from a four or six cylinder Chevy engine nowadays. Have you tried to search for a Holley replacement ? There is likely to be one for a 2.5 liter . Haven't tried but worth a search. I will be good to find the correct CFM first for the YFA carb to decide what may be your best size carb. Hope this helps and thank you for your membership here at jeeps.com.

Back