Wrenching today

Saurian

RE: Starter removal 1989 Cherokee 4 cyl

Not only am I in good cheer today, but I get to work on my Jeep... Gonna be picking up the rear reciever today after I get paid at 2:00, and then installing it... With the grillle guard, and associated tow-hooks I installed, this will give me nice solid tow points all the way around...

Tow hooks for others to get me unstuck.
Winch for me to get me unstuck.
Lift so I might not get stuck as much...

There's the list of priorities... Along with a few other modifications I have up my sleeve, just don't know if they're possible to do, I get some crazy complex ideas working peacefully on my own, have a whole file of steak-paper diagrams and schemata in my desk...

I'll let you all know how this install goes... I have heard that it will be a pain in the butt, and I have heard that if I managed the grille guard, and got the bumper back on straight, without killing someone, that it's a piece of cake... So, we'll see...

well that sure sounds like fun. I'm sitting here dreading having to go to school!!

I'd much rather be out working on a vehicle!

Best way to fix/replace mount plates for CJ rollbar?

please take pics of the install and post them.
have fun!!!

RE: vehicle year

... I am not pleased... So, the hardest part, using the little fish-wires to navigate the carraige bolts through the drivers side unibody was a piece of cake, had them and their spacers in place in no time... Getting the exhaust bracket off, little more tricky, bolts don't like moving very much... Then the holes that I am to shoot the bolts into on that side... Oh boy... Where the drivers side has the carriage bolts sticking down, and you use the nuts to get that on, the pass. side tells you to use the hex bolts in the existing threaded holes... Well, the existing threaded holes (if they even are threaded) are rusted all to hell and back.. But the exhaust bracket bolts are of the same size and threading, going along that arm, so I assume all is well... I use one exhaust bracket bolt, it's tapered, to get the holes a little bit started... Then I start with the flat hex bolts... Well, get one in there, breaker bar on the socket wrench, because I physically could not tighten it, and the impact wrench didn't have enough power... Get the exhaust bracket back on... We're good now, front and back bolt on the pass. side, all 4 on the drivers side... Then, I start number 3... Wrench wrench wrench... wrench wrench wrench... SNAP! Yeah, nowhere near in all the way, and the flipping bolt snaps off at the head...

By this time, I am tired, I am grouchy, and I have some new and interesting gouges on my hand to match the band-saw mishap in the meat room, so I packed up shop and came home... Going to go back up to Mumbly's today after work and see if they can help me out with these last 2 bolts...

Stay tuned :)

...So, after a delightfully long day at work, where all the muscles I thought I didn't pull came up to say hello, I went up to Mumbly's... Yeah, I jacked it up good... Not my fault though, the thingamadoodles inside the unibody area that hold the bolts were totally corroded, so there's a very good chance that I cross-threaded it... But they confirmed the idea I had last night: drill/smash out the thingamadoodles, and with it, the broken bolt, and do the fish-wire carriage bolt thing... So, either Thursday, or Monday at the latest, I will be able to take care of this... So, all is well, I s'pose, just some more drilling metal, woo hoo... As soon as I get it done, and all together, and have access to a camera, I'll get some pics up... Hoping to have some from my mudding trip coming up on the 19th that kick started me to get this stuff purchased and installed...

RE: Polar Bears

well I wish you luck in this project! I really hate it when things like that come up unexpectidly (sp?).

RE: Changed to synthetic blend oil, should water temp drop?

Saurian said:
... I am not pleased...

By this time, I am tired, I am grouchy, and I have some new and interesting gouges on my hand to match the band-saw mishap in the meat room, so I packed up shop and came home... Going to go back up to Mumbly's today after work and see if they can help me out with these last 2 bolts...

Stay tuned :)

Good Grief, was the band saw incident scary? You DO have all your digits don't you?

Good luck with the thingamadoodles, I know they can be intimidating!

Lady 8)

Re: RE: Re: Yea the super bowl is over!!

Lady,

Just took most of my right pinky knuckle off where it meets the hand... Merely a flesh wound, didn't quite make it through the lowest layer of skin, and didn't hit bone... I was merrily slicking up cow butts on the saw, when I suffered an extremely painful lower back spasm, causing me to jerk, and my hand slipped into the blade with the sirloin... This is why we cut and push knuckles forst, to prevent the loss of digit... Looks ghastly, but seems to be healing well...

And 88, Yeah, I cannot stand it when these little unexpecteds happen... As if it wasn't hard enough to do some of this stuff, there has to be that little extra to sweeten the deal !

RE: Do YJ half doors have locks?

OK, it's ON!!!

On the drivers side, there are little holes in the unibody rail, you use the fish-wire to pull and drop carriage bolts and spacers through those holes... On pre-97s, it's the same on the pass. side... Mine came with pre-threaded holes (post '97)... The holes were all rusted out, and after successfully getting one bolt in over the course of an hour of slow slow wrenching, I busted off the second one, probably cross-threaded it. It wasn't gonna back out, and I needed it out, so I went with the collaborative plan of Mumbly's off-road, and myself: to knock out the little threading parts, and just do the carriage bolt thing on that side too...

Problem: They weren't individual threading parts, it was a long, attached metal bar inside there, with 5 threadings... I ground off the bolt, and knocked the part free inside the pass. side unibody rail.

Problem: It wouldn't fit out the back with the bumper on. And I was not willing to go through all the hassle to take the bumper off at this point... So, I figure I can push it up and slide the bolts under it.

Problem: The orifice at the end of the rail was not large enough with the metal threading thing still in there... So, I ever so slightly ground down a side of the carriage bolt, not enough to affect it's stability, but enough to give it clearance when encouraged with a hammer and punch.

Got them all dropped (glad they gave enough parts to do both sides, love quasi-universal kits), and got that sucker on and on tight... The threading bar is floating around in there somewhere, haven't heard rattling or anything, I'm not overly concerned about it... If the bumper ever comes off, I'll fish it out, but for now, that thing is in there to stay!

So, if anyone ever does this install on a post '97, either remove that strip, as I did, or tap the holes out to clean up the threads first...It'll make your world a LOT easier. I could have easily gone to U-haul or whatever, but since this is MY jeep, and the rear tow point that's gonna haul me out of the mud, I wanted to be sure that it was on securely, and not just slapped up there with a couple bolts... I know, for sure, without a doubt that the front and rear tow-points are on as securely as they are ever gonna be...

Plus, I just like working on it :)

Questions, thoughts, concerns, always welcome, just throught I'd share...

Back