Wrangler reliabilty

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'm starting the search for a wrangler now. Someone on here said I could get a 99 or 00 model with about 60K miles for around $10,000 so that is what I will look for. I want a manual transmission but want an A/C if I get a late model one such as a 99 or newer. I would also consider a CJ if considerably cheaper and worth the money, of course not looking for A/C on it. Where's the best place to look, most of the local ones around here are priced way out of range of others I have seen nationally, like ebay. If anybody runs across one that is close to those 2 then I would appreciate sending me an email. LoneWulf111@aol.com

Thanks

im biased ,ill let you know up front :)
if you look into a cj,there is :
1)less to go wrong-because of less options/creature comforts
2)slightly cheaper to modify suspension and such
3)you can literally hose the interior out
4)increasing in value as opposed to decreasing like newer jeeps(although in time they will hold their own too)

they have their downside too:
1)carter carb deserves first place
2)rougher ride
3)oil leaks!!! lol
but alot of that can be overcome with upgrades-take a $4000 cj as opposed to a $10,000 y/tj and it leaves alot of free cash for mods:)

whatever you get though im sure you'll love it!

My '99 TJ has consistently fallen to pieces... I purchased it with 68,000 miles last year, and in the 12,000 miles I've driven it since then:

New rear brake shoes/drums
New rear main, front crank, valve cover, oil pan seals
Fuel injection system overhaul
New head gasket
Radiator rebuild
New Alternator
Ignition rebuild
New Thermostat
New Water Pump
Needs new steering box (moderate power steering leaks)
Needs new clutch in next thousand miles

I don't drive the Jeep very hard, and most of my offroading is limited to Forest Service and logging roads on balmy Arkansas summer nights.

It ran excellently when purchased- passed the cursory 'used car checkout' at the local mechanic- but since then it has required massive amounts of maintenance. All the parts seemed to start magically failing at about 70,000- and while I've owned it, I've followed the maintenance schedule fairly religiously.

Lemon? Something I've done and not noticed? Bad driving/maintenance on the previous owner's part? I don't know, but the lack of reliability makes me hesitant to keep this TJ much longer. I'm going off to college next fall, and I hate to be stranded. Can't decide to spring for a new one ($15,000 after the $2000 cash back is still a lot to pay for a fun toy vehicle) or keep patching the old girl up. Can't bear the thought of driving anything other than a Jeep though- there's a hell of a lot of magic in summer nights with the top/doors off and miles of isolated dirt to cruise along. I wish I could find a CJ that's reliable enough for a 400 mile drive to/from Tennessee and the occasional mountain biking trip to Colorado.

I have a 97 Wrangler Sport with 127000 miles. It runs great. As said, there are 93's that might run better than an 03, it's all in how you take care of it. The 97 TJ is the first model year, they had some airbag issues they were recalled for, but that's prolly been fixed in any you'll buy. The paint is not great on them, it flakes and oxidizes, the 98 used better paints. Other then that, mine is in excellent shape. It doesn't leak at all, and it's very reliable. Most Jeeps are.

I have a 99 Sahara, I just bought and it has 95,000 on it and you couldn't tell. All my friends say "it has how many miles?" though at work last night I picked up the Consumer Reports book and started looking at the car reviews. You know they rate the jeeps as one of the worst used cars to buy. They just don't get it. Well no time wasted trying to explain it to them. Let them roll down the highway in one of the all look alike Hondayatoyodais. I think Neil Young said it, " I'd rather burn out than fade away". Though if you look at the rating for the 1999 TJ it is rated heads above the previous years, and even has an above average reliability rating. I spent 9000 for mine, no marks, brand new tires, GSA's 30 x09.5 , auto, with every option plus a few thousand in upgrades when it was new. you can find some great deals, but suggest getting the IL 6 4.0 and if you're going to do that might as well get the Sahara. I wasn't afraid of the mileage and I am barely a shade tree mechanic. See I polled everyone I met, before I bought and they assured me of the engine. Then when I was at this Jeep dealership, beating them up for mine, there was a guy buying a new Cherokee. We started to talk, and he told me he was listening to my concern for the 92.000 mi. He said he had an 85, and I said "I you trading it in." He said" hell no its only got 265.000". End of story love my jeep even with the extra few miles on it. PS. Don't let your wife drive it, you'll never get her butt out of the drivers seat!!!! I know. :lol:

Back