Winches?

pinaplebob

Just wondering how many people had winches on there jeeps?

I've got a Ramsey REP 8000E that I mounted on a olympic TJ bumper that I had to make work on my XJ.

image-missing.png

i am lookin at getting one of those new warn 9.5i...thermomatic. they got em on sale at my local offroad store.

I had a Koenig King 100 model PTO winch on my 77 blazer. that thing was from like 1955 I think! Worked the balls! Nothing beats hearing that drive shaft creaking and cranking!

What is a "good" winch to look for with out losing you shirt ($$$)

What do you look for in winch quality?

What is a hawse fairlead?

Warn 8274 here, checked the date code and it was built in '76 :shock: Almost as old as I am, and works much better :lol: Made my own winch plate. The M8274 is a great winch that is still made today. Fastest line speed out there, and runs cooler with the motor seperate from the drum.

A hawse fairlead is the solid metal slot that the cable routes through. It's edges are rounded to prevent burring or kinking of the cable. The upgrade is the roller fairlead. It's what's in my pic.

Pinaplebob, good job on converting that bumper, looks great.

image-missing.png

What is a "good" winch to look for with out losing you shirt ($$$)

What do you look for in winch quality?

What is a hawse fairlead?

Ramseys are good winches at a good price, cheaper that warn and almost every bit as good.

what you are lookin for is line speed and HPs, the 8274 is probably the best winch made but isnt worth that $1000 IMO, you can get a good winch for ALOT cheaper.

a hawse fairlead is just a plate w/o rollers

9000lb mile marker best investment I had made saved my but a couple times. Just ask twistedcopper and phatyaspen.

Warn 8274 here.

Oooooooooooooooo jealousy!!!!!! I had one on my 79 F-150 and I kick myself for selling it with the truck. :x

(The 8274's weren't always that exspensive. That 1k unit is a remake) As far as working (Daily use)winches it's well worth the grand. The hydrolic and pto set ups are the only thing better.

I was checking out an awesome M8274 the other day, on the front of an old Dodge pickup whose owner was a logger. It had an AMC decal where the Warn decal usually is on the top cover, and said "'Jeep Winch' made exclusively for Jeep by Warn". Man that'd be a cool relic to own.

I picked mine up for $100 and took it apart, going through and cleaning it up real good. The gears were in perfect shape. New cable and controller and I've got about $250 into a fast powerful winch.

Ramsey Platnum 9000 here got it cheap but i broke the clutch handle and clutch gear and the top housing off the lower housing, still a great winch, i think its better than the warns are

ramsey 6000 180amp Alternator 1000cca battery 1 farad cap.

Back