Why does the steering shaft telescope?

Engir

I have been trying to unstick this but it will not move so I am going to take it to a garage and have them put some heat to it but I am wondering other than for removal why does this slide at all is that the only reason or does it have to do with the body and frame articulation when off-roading?

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-09 at 10.46.41_5d02acdc.jpg

probably just to allow for flexing, like you are talking about. connecting the frame to the body and adjusting for the body mounts flexing over bumps and stuff.

The sliding mechanism you're referring to (assuming it's a suspension or drivetrain component) usually serves more than just removal purposes. It's likely designed to allow for some movement or flex, especially when the body and frame articulate during off-roading. This flexibility helps the suspension adapt to uneven terrain, ensuring smoother handling and preventing damage to other components under stress.

If it's stuck, that lack of movement could potentially lead to issues during off-road conditions, where articulation is key. Getting it freed up is definitely a good move to ensure everything functions properly when you're out on the trails!

Back