who's the best mechanic on this site?? Please help still have no speedo 2 mnths later

danimal1975

I have posted a couple of times and got some good ideas but here I am 2 months later and still have no speedometer and still no answer. So I will try one last time. I have a 92 YJ swapped from a 4cyl to a 6cyl and ax-15 trans. I have put in a new VSS, changed speed gears to every possible setting and put in a used cluster, I still have no speedo, I have power to it but will not move. It is the electronic type, it does not use a cable so Im at a stand still on what to do next. Can anyone help me or do I just guess my speed for the life of my jeep??:???:

Have you checked the voltage at the speedo while the rear tires are spinning?

I know you said you have changed speedo gears, and this is basic knowledge, but have you correctly clocked the speedo housing in the tailshaft housing of the transfer case?

is there power ,
are all your connections good ,
did you check the fuse ,
is it grounded ,
are the gears installed correctly ,
are there any corroded connections ,

You say there's not a speedo cable to the cluster, what did it come out of? Maybe you're giving it the wrong signal for the speed.

What year was the 6 cylinder from....?

1992 was the change-over year to electronic instrumentation and I have re-wired several of these. My buddy's wife is driving an 89 islander we re-wired and re-worked into a 1992 Sahara Edition. It is fully electronic factory gauges now. Where did you get the harness for the 6 cylinder and is the 6 an EFI engine from a 92-95? Was the harness from a 92-95? There is a subtle difference in the harness from a 1991 to a 1992-1995 YJ Wrangler and the gauges are one of them. The 1991 has a mechanical speedometer and early style gauges like the 1987-1990 Wranglers have. Do you have a clock in the middle of the gauge pod or not? That is the fastest way to tell.

RangerRick

Hello,
It does not have a clock on the guage pod, it is all electronic gauges with no cable, unfortunately I bought it after the swap was done so I have no idea what year the old engine or harness came out of. All the guy told me was that it came out of a cherokee. Wish I had more info.

What year was the 6 cylinder from....?

1992 was the change-over year to electronic instrumentation and I have re-wired several of these. My buddy's wife is driving an 89 islander we re-wired and re-worked into a 1992 Sahara Edition. It is fully electronic factory gauges now. Where did you get the harness for the 6 cylinder and is the 6 an EFI engine from a 92-95? Was the harness from a 92-95? There is a subtle difference in the harness from a 1991 to a 1992-1995 YJ Wrangler and the gauges are one of them. The 1991 has a mechanical speedometer and early style gauges like the 1987-1990 Wranglers have. Do you have a clock in the middle of the gauge pod or not? That is the fastest way to tell.

RangerRick

Danimal,
Pull the VIN from the engine block. Then google VIN decoder or call your insurance company and have them tell you what vehicle/year the VIN is from.

Back