What should I ask?

Junkpile

Well the CJ7 has got to go. It's just not what I want now, and I'm not changing it again. I'm either going back to a YJ, or I'm building a nasty 401 powered Scrambler like I have always wanted. Anyway, I found another widetrack D30 today, so I'll stick the 44 rear back in before I sell it. I need some opinions on what something like this would sell for. I've still got to paint it and put the body and interior back together, but I want to start making plans.

77 CJ7
320hp 304 (several opinions on what it would make, 320 was low#)
T-176 4 speed/ Dana 300
Scout II D44 rear/ Widetrack CJ D30 front, rear lockright
4"SJ suspension, 3" body, 1/2" shackle
36" TSLs 50% tread 10"aluminum wheels
New paint/Hardtop/liner/seats/cd player

Do you have pics?? I think that might determine most of the value. Unfortunately, non-jeepers aren't as appreciative of the mods.

I'd say $4000 to $5000 depending on condition of the body.

401's are awesome, a fellow club member just built a full-tilt 401 and has it in a Cj5. It's a screamer.

Oil Pressure?

Once you go YJ nothing else seems to compare. I know the felling. Bought the ol ugly CJ and it was a mess. When I got rid of it I had ir running like a champ. Preformed as good as anything could with stock suspention and tires and never enjoyed driven anything any more. It just was not a YJ and Yj is all I seem to to care for. Now looking for the YJ again and will find the one some where down the pike. Thought Maybe just Maybe an XJ but who was I kidding what was I thinking. Jeeeze this is a sickness this jeep thing. tug

I've always wanted to build a bob-tailed Scrambler. They are just too expensive to buy, especially if you are going to strip it down and replace all the drivetrain. It would be better for me to go on and get a Bruiser chassis. That's beside the point though.
The 401 is a strong motor and you seem like you have a good handle on hopping one up. Just be careful on your cam choice if you decide to put the GM fuel injection on there. Do some research on that web site I gave you if you decide to go that route.
The main benefits of a Scambler this day and age are the added storage space and wheelbase. The trails I ride are mostly run by YJ's and CJ's in various forms. Most of them have stretched the wheelbase a little and thus all te trails are dug out by vehicles with similar lengths. That is where vehicles like Scramblers make everybody look silly. The added wheelbase helps in climbing and staying out of the holes dug by shorter Jeeps. Modified Cherokees also do very well.
That may also be a good choice for you. A full sized Cherokee already has the D44's and strong transmission to handle the 401 and the motor will bolt right up. Chop the top to lose some weight and you've got a good trail rig. Just a thought.

Back