What Jeep?

Alacran

Hi all. Great forum here. I'm looking for some advice on what Jeep would be best suited for my circumstances.

A little background first. My wife and I retired 2 years ago and moved to Mexico, just south of Guadalajara near Lake Chapala. I have a motorcycle (Suzuki V-Strom DL 1000) for fun. Early this year I bought a Kaw. KLR 650 for more dirt riding. After dumping it numerious times and a cracked rib I came to the sad conclusion that I'm too old ( 58 ) to risk my neck learning new habits. Thus the Jeep. I feel it would be perfect for here. I'm not looking to do any rock crawling, just dirt roads and conditions that I would be leery to take my Toyota Highlander.

After reading as many threads here as possible I've come up with a question. I plan on spending around $4,000. Would probably be a YJ with FI. Vehicle will be bought in San Diego area and driven down here,1500 miles. Now, 4 cyl or 6 ? We don't live in the sticks so there are places that I can take it to to have work done if necessary. Most of the driving will be on back roads but there are very nice autopistas (freeways) where the speed limit is 110 km/hr. What setup would you go with? Engine size, tire size, gearing?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

First of all, welcome to Jeepz!! Glad to have you aboard! I think you're on the right track as far as looking for a YJ with FI. You should be able to find one in your price range. I love my YJ with the 4-banger, though there are others here who don't like the 4-banger because it's underpowered. I don't mind it. I'm running a 3.5" BDS lift with 31's and can still use 5th gear most of the time. It'll run 75 on the highway unless there's a headwind. Off-road, it's awesome! Plenty of torque to idle up hills and over obstacles, or power through mud, snow, and sand.

With no lift, 31's are about as big as you'd want to go. Before my lift, I had just a slight rub on the rear fender flares at full stock flex, but not enough to cause any problems. I've always run mud tires, though personal preference for some is an all-terrain.

Feel free to ask any more questions I may not have answered. If I can't answer them, somebody here certainly will be able to.

Again, Welcome Aboard!! 8)

Hi all. Great forum here. I'm looking for some advice on what Jeep would be best suited for my circumstances.

A little background first. My wife and I retired 2 years ago and moved to Mexico, just south of Guadalajara near Lake Chapala. I have a motorcycle (Suzuki V-Strom DL 1000) for fun. Early this year I bought a Kaw. KLR 650 for more dirt riding. After dumping it numerious times and a cracked rib I came to the sad conclusion that I'm too old ( 58 ) to risk my neck learning new habits. Thus the Jeep. I feel it would be perfect for here. I'm not looking to do any rock crawling, just dirt roads and conditions that I would be leery to take my Toyota Highlander.

After reading as many threads here as possible I've come up with a question. I plan on spending around $4,000. Would probably be a YJ with FI. Vehicle will be bought in San Diego area and driven down here,1500 miles. Now, 4 cyl or 6 ? We don't live in the sticks so there are places that I can take it to to have work done if necessary. Most of the driving will be on back roads but there are very nice autopistas (freeways) where the speed limit is 110 km/hr. What setup would you go with? Engine size, tire size, gearing?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Hey! Welcome to Jeepz! I like the handle "Alacran". Used to live in El Paso, and I had a buddy who named his Jeep that. (For the non-spanish speakers, means scorpion)

If you can get your hands on a TJ, that would be better for your highway excursions. (springs vs. Leafs)

As for the engine size, get the 6 cyl 4.0 HO. With the 4 cyl, you'll regret the lack of power and get up and go on the highways, and the fuel economy isn't enough to warrant going with the lower hp.

Gearing would depend on the size of tire you plan on putting on it.

Here's a good all around chart. (Not specific to Jeeps)
image-missing.png

BTW,
4.56 gears at most with the DAna 35 axle. At 4.88, the pinion is really small.

I think you have a good choice in a EFI YJ (91-95 Wrangler). If you like to be heavy on the throttle, get the 4.0L. The 2.5L 4 cyl is a great engine and very reliable but lacks power, and even modified it will struggle to turn 33" tires at highway speeds.

If that's not a concern the 4 cyl is decent on fuel economy and will do well offroad as it comes with 4.10 gearing.

I have owned both, and was happy with both. I am, however, now dedicated to the 4.0L. It is powerful, reliable, and simple.

Back