What Browser do you use?

So, I got Firefox and it seems to be working as well as netscrape. Nothing works when I have IE on my pc. ::sigh:: I just reformated a couple of months ago too and dumped alot of stuff off although this pc is five years old.

I will work these issues out maybe? I can't get my bookmarks to import at all, firefox keeps shutting down or just not doing it.

I also use MSN groups alot and they use discussion threads where you use posts to type on. Firefox doesn't want to load my posts with all the right features, even with the popups turned off.

Some days your the bug not the windshield right? lol

Lady

Hi,

So when you refer to "posts" on MSN, do you mean "pop-up windows"? If so, you can manually add a specific website to the pop-up add blocker's "no-block" list. This will ensure that pop-ups on that site are never interrupted.

Then again maybe it is just a conspiracy and Microsoft codes their web sites to not work in other non-IE browsers. :roll:

As a side note, Mozilla recently released Firefox 0.9.2 for Windows which fixes a possible security vulnerability (which was found to apply to Mozilla Firefox when used on a Windows PC). Linux and Mac versions of the software are unaffected.

-Nick :!:

only reason theres always news about security flaws in IE is cause hackers want to exploit software that is mostly used. if everyone used mozilla, then im sure hackers would find a million exploits in that software.

blar blar blar we hate microsoft. give it a rest

Good point BostonJeep, but I tell ya - I've been using Mozilla Firefox for about a week now and I prefer it to any browser I've used before. Very controllable, fast. I second the complaint that when you hit the back button or backspace key to go to previous page, it takes you to the top of the page. It's liveable.

Thanks for the tip folks.

BostonJeep said:
blar blar blar we hate microsoft. give it a rest

First of all, this post was NOT CREATED TO BASH MICROSOFT. I was curious in light of all the new vulnerabilities found in IE to hear if alot of fellow Jeepers still used it or not.

If you use it, great. more power to you. I for one would never use IE, and can't anyways as I run Linux, and IE will likely never be made for Linux (thank god). I mention Mozilla alot in this thread simpy because I've found it to be an excellent piece of software which some still don't know about.

Second, it is true that the most popular software is usually the most actively targeted by hackers, etc.. But the difference between IE and most open-source projects (like Mozilla) is how they deal with any vulnerabilities and how the product acts. IE is not W3C standards compliant (and thus is a pain to design websites for) because Microsoft knows they can get away with it. Also, Microsoft isn't exactly prompt about releasing patches for IE or ensuring their functionality when they do. For example one of their latest patches for IE fixed two vulnerabilities while re-creating a third vulnerability in the browser.

Mozilla (among others) on the other hand is developed to be standards compliant and play nice, and they seem to release patches (when necessary) very promptly.

Remember, BostonJeep, I'm in no way forcing you to read this thread. Sorry that you obviously found it a waste of time.

blar blar blar... That is all. :mrgreen:

XJNick said:
You can also click "File" then "New Tab" to open a new, blank tab which you can then manually enter a website address into.

"ctrl T" works nicely also. And check out the 'tabbed browsing' preferences at edit/preferences/navigator/tabbed browsing for more options.

I love my Mozilla.

dude i switched a few says ago... never going back... i even downloaded some sweet themes for mine and totally customized everything. i LOVE this browser

For those of you that switched, did you have trouble importing bookmarks from IE or have you tried to yet?

Mine still won't work. I have the same two issues, the posts on my discussion thread groups being intrepreted as popups and the bookmarks not importing.

If I could get these two things straight I think I'd really like the browser. I'm working in and out of both right now. lol Well, we'll see.

Lady

LadyJeepFreak said:
For those of you that switched, did you have trouble importing bookmarks from IE or have you tried to yet?

It was very simple both times i've done it. I don't recall exactlly the steps but they are all there now. I THINK maybe it was during the initial setup, it asked if I wanted to import. Maybe. Have you tried to 'import' by going to bookmarks/managebookmarks/tools/import?

I've done it twice now on Mozilla and once with Firebird and had no problem so it can be done. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. Good luck Lady.

i had a little pop up come up and ask if i wanted to import my favorites and my bookmarks

South and Jeepmaster, yep its something that comes up during install and you can also access it from the menu bar. It just won't work for me, its crashing firefox all together each time I try to run it. I just have so many bookmarks.....

When I changed from ME to XP, I just manually moved all the bookmark folders and did it that way but I can't find the folder in Firefox's files. It must work differently.

There there, I haven't given up yet. I do love the tabbed browsing and the skins you can get for firefox.

Lady

Click "Import" from the file menu @ the top. Worked for me, but I don't have that many bookmarks.

Haven't checked out the skins yet. Today will be a good day for it since I can hardly move!!!

Hi,

I believe IE still manages favorites by creating a separate link file for each favorites entry in a folder called "favorites." The folder will be located in your user profile folder on Windows 2000 and XP. For example if your user name is ladyjeep, they should be located in

C:\Documents and settings\ladyjeep\favorites\

Now, Mozilla and Netscape browsers store bookmarks as links in a single *.html file (basically they create a webpage full of hyperlinks). This is why importing bookmarks from one version of Mozilla to another (if needed) is easy since you simply import the one *.html file. Check and see if by chance IE creates an index of its favorites as an html file in addition to the individual files. If it does, import that file and you should have them all.

I'll have to go get on a computer running windows to be able to give you a more definite answer :mrgreen:

Orroo Nick, thanks. I knew there was something different about how Mozilla did it because there weren't individual folders. I didn't know they put everything in a single file though. Your right about the location of the IE ones though.

Let me look later today to see if there is possibly a single index somewhere in my IE stuff. That would be so fantastic. Thanks again!

Heather 8)

Back