What Browser do you use?

XJNick

Hi,

Well another flaw has been found in Microsoft Internet Explorer as reported by ZDNet here:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5259374.html

I run a website and have always found it interesting when looking at the webstats to see how many users still surf the internet with Internet Explorer. Everyone now days is concerned about internet security yet many still continue to use IE which is known to be insecure and increases your chances of getting trojans/spybots/adware/hacked on your computer.

So my question is: What browser do you use and why (if you want to share :p)? I use Mozilla Firefox because it has tabbed browsing, built-in pop-up ad blocker, is secure, and is a standards compliant browser. So far I haven't found a better browser :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

mozilla firefox here......loaded this browser a week ago and love it, plus it was free!

Internet explorer here. I know it's bad but safari sucks. With this many people telling me to switch maybe I should.

I need to be able to choose more than one. On Solaris 9 I use netscrape, on the winblows servers at work IE, on my linux pc's at home I use opera, on winblows pc's at home I use IE and mozilla.

I use IE and Opera. I usually use IE but I dunno why it is a turd. Probably 'cause my favorites are all stored in it.

Opera seems pretty good. Maybe I should use it more.

I've been thinking of downloading Mozilla after reading some earlier threads referring to it.

firefox. love everything about it except when i go back on webpages it sometimes loads it and puts me back on top, not half way down the page like i was at. other than that. its the best browser yet

Question about my transmission

I switched to Mozzila per yall's advice

Poison Spyder diff guards

So my question is: What browser do you use and why (if you want to share Razz)? I use Mozilla Firefox because it has tabbed browsing, built-in pop-up ad blocker, is secure, and is a standards compliant browser. So far I haven't found a better browser Mr. Green

Not to mention a ton of great extensions that you can download that are not standard features, but make your life much easier. My personal favorite is the Bookmarks Synchronizer extension. Lets me synchronize my bookmarks quickly and easily between the 3 computers I typically use. So many good ones can't mention them all. I recommend checking them out you Firefox users.

And for those still being punished by MS Internet Exploder...Switch now, you'll be glad you did!!

Jeep could be running better...

OK i made the change to Firefox to see what you guys are talking about and will let you know what I think in a few days.So far so good cause I have had some trouble with IE and hope this will help me out. Thanks for the heads up see I trust my Jeep pals. tug

I was all set to ask about this Opera browser I hardly ever use, but I'm getting off here and gonna find firefox too. Hope it's free!

EDIT - so far I like.

Hi,

Yes both Mozilla Firefox (and the normal Mozilla Browser) are absolutely free. They are open-source software.

geopig said:
Not to mention a ton of great extensions that you can download that are not standard features,

Yes, the extensions are really great! You can get them at http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ . My favorite is the Googlebar extension which brings the google toolbar to Mozilla Firefox. Also Adblock is a good one. It allows you to block selected annoying banner ads on websites (such as those brightly flashing ones). :mrgreen:

What with all the loopholes in IE that are getting Updates from Microslut every day, I will never go back to that. And, once you've used tabbed browsing, you'll be hooked for life. Nutscrape ain't the best, but it beats what I had with IE, I'm happy with it. I've had absolutely no problems with Nutscrape, so I don't see a reason to change to anything better (if there is anything better). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I had nothing but problems with IE. Thinking about what Gates has made off of IE, and it still having all those problems, I felt like I was getting corn-holed everytime I used it. Never again.

Just downloaded Mozilla firefox, never even thought of using a different browser other than IE... I have seen the light! So far so good, though it seems to take longer to load little icons and stuff.

I had tabbed browsing in Netscape one time I think?? I ADORED that, but I run IE and netscape wouldn't work properly. I'll have to check into these other tabbed browsers. I always have zillions of windows open to do my work online.

Heather

Hi,

Joopin said:
though it seems to take longer to load little icons and stuff.

It will seem slower to you at first because it is a new browser on your computer and its Cache is empty until you begin using it for a while. Cache is (as you may know) where the browser downloads and stores bits and pieces of websites which you visit frequently to your computer's hard drive. Cache is usually graphics and it greatly speeds up website loading as it allows the browser to pull unchanged content (like icons/images) from your hard drive instead of the website's server when you visit the site.

So, your Internet Exploder seems faster now since you've been using it for some time and its cache is full of the pages you visit. Clear the cache in IE and it would probably act as slow if not slower than Mozilla until you've visited all those sites again (and they are re- cached).

LadyJeepFreak said:
I'll have to check into these other tabbed browsers.

Here's what's interesting: all most all of the other browsers besides Internet Exploder DO support tabbed browsing. Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, Netscape, and Safari (to name some) all have tabbed browsing built-in. Internet Explorer = NO.

Now if Microsoft was at all concerned about making IE a decent product wouldn't they look around at the competition and say "Hey, it looks like tabbed browsing is popular, let's add it to the next version Internet Exploder"??? (Note: That's a rhetorical question; I think we all know the answer :p )

Don't even get me started about Windows :mrgreen:

Yeah I knew about the cashe, I just assumed they would both use the same temporary internet files folder...

Whats this tabbed browsing thing your talking about? I opened a bunch of firefox browsers to see but they just line up on the taskbar.

Joopin said:
Yeah I knew about the cashe, I just assumed they would both use the same temporary internet files folder...

Whats this tabbed browsing thing your talking about? I opened a bunch of firefox browsers to see but they just line up on the taskbar.

Open your browser, then find another link you want to open. Right click that link and select "Open In New Tab". That way you can have more than one site open in the same browser window, rather than several browsers with one site each. Pretty handy for multi-tasking or whatever. Right now I have this page in one tab, the local weather open in another tab, my web page open in another tab, my web builder page in another...so, 4 tabs in one browser, and all I have to do to switch from one to another is click the tab at the top of the browser.

Hi,

You can also click "File" then "New Tab" to open a new, blank tab which you can then manually enter a website address into.

Also, what I do is add a "New tab" button to the address bar by doing the following:
> Right-Click in a BLANK area of the address bar (the one with the fhe back/forward/home/etc buttons on it)
> Click "Customize..."
> From the menu which pops up, click and drag the "New tab" button to the address bar area.
> Release the mouse button and you have a "New tab" shortcut.

:mrgreen:

Back