Went to GWNF this weekend

TwistedCU

My son and I drove down to the shenandoah valley friday night and then on Saturday we hit the 3 trails listed on the George Washington National Forest's website. Going solo wans't really a concern because everything I had read said they were like Greenridge in Western MD, there are usually lots of people there - which there were, and they are relatively mild trails but very scenic.

They were. Almost to the point of being disappointing. The first one wasn't bad, but mostly just hilly and bumpy. Very few mudholes. Could have been done in 2WD. The second was basically a dirt road. My son, at that point, wanted to head back to a spot we know of in MD :( but I decided we'd head to the third one about 40 miles south - Second Mountain Trail. It was decent. Not too extreme, but a fun trail with lots of mud, moderate hill climbs, and some really awesome scenery. It was worth going to.

Leaving the trail, I went west on Rt33 by mistake. I'm glad we did. We turned around in a little pull-off on the side of the road and ran into a couple of stock TJ's. We talked with them a while and they said there were alot of trails not on the site that were excellent. One of which was 1/2 mile away from us. Well it was getting late (around 3:45 pm) and we would have had to run an unknown trail solo so we decided to just call it a day and head home via Skyline drive because it would be cool driving that road while the sun set.

As we turned around and neared the trailhead they mentioned, a group of Jeeps was coming towards us. Their blinkers were on, so we turned in there. Talking to them for a few minutes, the leader of their group said we were more than welcome to join them. That decision was not hard for Taylor :lol:

What an awesome ride. Great trail, great folks, and lots of fun. Deep mud, lots of stucks, river crossings, hill climbs. Not many rocks but I am really not set up for them yet so that was a good thing.

What a great weekend. I don't have too many pics, but they took alot. They were all camping last night and are out again today, so when they put them up on their website I'll post a link here.

DSCF0898small-1.jpg

DSCF0899small-1.jpg

DSCF0902small-1.jpg

DSCF0904small-1.jpg

DSCF0905small-1.jpg

DSCF0907small-1.jpg

Last edited:
Never pooh pooh the National Forests...........there are lots of great roads in there that aren't shown on any online maps. Glad you had a good experience with them, TC! Our national treasures!!!

Never pooh pooh the National Forests...........there are lots of great roads in there that aren't shown on any online maps. Glad you had a good experience with them, TC! Our national treasures!!!

Yup, and it's probably a good thing the good trails are not too widely known. Those who spent the time cutting them and run them the most can still enjoy them.

Here's some pics that have started to straggle in on the "trailblazers" website:
P1010022-1.jpg

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010033-1.jpg

P1010038-1.jpg

P1010041-1.jpg

P1010059-1.jpg

P1010040-1.jpg

P1010045-1.jpg

P1010061-1.jpg

Back