We have lost two of our own

Bounty__Hunter

Super Moderator
A local jeep club, one very close to our own club, has lost two members to a tragic jeep accident in Colorado. Our whole jeeping family has lost two of our own, as have thier close friends and family.

Facts are sketchy, but it seems they were jeeping high in the CO mountains when a violent thunderstorm suddenly blew in. The Jeep fell over 900ft. down the mountain and came to rest on the same road below, one of a series of switchbacks.

There is more info here: www.midriversjeepthing.com . We are asking that everybody place a piece of black tape diagonally across your club decal, and black ribbon on an antenna, in rememberance of Allen and Sue.

There is a banquet hall reserved Friday evening (7/30) in St. Louis for friends and family to get together and share in the fond memories of both of these jeepers. More info on the above site if you're in the area.
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

OMG Bounty, this is horrific news. What a way for these two apparantly great souls to end thier time here on earth. Very unfortunate. I will look for some black ribbon in the morning and am adding them and thier family to my prayers tonight. Sometimes it all becomes so precious so fast when you read things like this.

Lady

its always awful to lose fellow jeepers, your friend kee from iowa4wd posted a similar thread on their website.

sorry to hear of your loss, Bounty. Has their loved ones decided on accepting flowers or donations to a charity? Maybe we could send something from Jeepz.com...

I read another story of a father and son that died last weekend descending a steep hill at the Cinders OHV in Arizona. The article said that they rolled forward down the hill 11 times.
It has been a bad week in the 4 wheeling community.

Here is information for donations towards arrangements and funds for the family left behind: http://www.midwestjeepthing.com/for...le=General+Discussion+Forum&replies=3&M=0&S=1

Here is more info on this senseless tragedy: http://www.telluridewatch.com/07_30_08_02_04/wreck.htm

This is an article on the jeepin accident that redrooster mentioned, not to be confused with the couple from MO that were died in CO.
A Jeep rollover accident this weekend in the Forest Service's Cinder Hills off-road recreation area killed a father and son -- despite the fact that they wore proper safety harnesses and were not driving recklessly.
Dennis Robbins, 49, and his 26-year-old son Shane both died at the scene of the accident on a rise known as Hundred Dollar Hill, located 18 miles northeast of Flagstaff.

The Coconino County Sheriff's Office did not have a confirmed address for either, but both men were members of the Phoenix-area based Arizona Rock Crawlers, an off-road enthusiasts' club.

Dennis Robbins had been driving the Jeep down the western slope of the hill -- 600 feet from top to bottom --with a caravan of four other Jeeps. Witnesses watched as the Jeep's back end swung to the side and pitched the Jeep into a roll near the top of the hill.

The Jeep rolled 11 times, picking up momentum before reaching the tree line and striking a grove of pines.

Dennis Robbins was ejected by the force of the roll and died instantly. Shane Robbins was held by his five-point restraining harness but lost his arm and suffered injuries to his head and face. He also died at the scene.

"It was just a horrible thing," said Nancy Clavelot of Phoenix, who was riding ATVs with a group and witnessed the crash. "It happened so, so fast and was so devastating.

They rolled a long, long way and there was debris all the way down the hill."

Sgt. Darrin Womble with the sheriff's office said that it does not appear drugs or alcohol were involved in the accident. He said that, by all reports, Dennis Robbins was a skilled off-road driver.

"It's just one of those accidents," he said, adding that the pitch of the hill most likely played a factor. "That hill is extremely steep. It's one of the steepest hills in the Cinder Hills area."

Clavelot, who was at the bottom of the hill with her group when the accident occurred, said that Robbins was not speeding or out of control before the rollover, although it did appear that he drove into a deep cinder area that also could have contributed to the accident.

"They weren't doing anything crazy," she said. "They almost crawled over the hill."

Summit Fire Department and Forest Service emergency crews often respond to accidents in the 13,500-acre Cinder Hills area. But Womble could not remember the last fatality at the popular OHV spot.

Ken Frederick with the Forest Service's Peaks Ranger District said that the accident showed how, even when off-road drivers are safe, OHV driving comes with risks.

"This kind of situation underscores how dangerous this type of recreational activity can be," said Ken Frederick with the Forest Service. "People have to be knowledgeable and skilled."

Frederick said that Cinder Hills has some basic guidelines for use, but few enforceable safety laws. One exception is that designated forest roads that lead out to the area require an operator to have a driver's license. Also there's a requirement for ATV and motorcycle riders under 18 to wear a helmet.

But there's not a lot of heavy enforcement.

"In general, safety is the responsibility of the individual in the national forest," he said.

Thats another horrible accident to hear of... I must say one thing though, as horriffic and horrible as these accidents are, they died together doing something they love. Had one or the other survived, the grief they would have experienced would have been tremendous. Again, more prayers coming from the west coast.

Many sympathies from the Mud household. The places we all go are "almost heaven" - looks like God decided to show them the real thing. Sad, sad, sad...........

Prayers sent from Ohio for the family. I'm very tired of death and bad news this summer. Good motivation to get my CJ up and running for some fun in the mud. Take a wheeling trip in their honor as they were enjoying the same when they passed. Can't think of a better way to pay tribute.
D :cry:

mud4feet said:
Many sympathies from the Mud household. The places we all go are "almost heaven" - looks like God decided to show them the real thing. Sad, sad, sad...........

Mud, ya did it to me there. I had been reading the whole thread in shock and sadness....till I got to your post. That was a powerful post, bud. Made me start bawling like a baby!! God bless the Jeepers!!

Back