Wax stains on plastic parts

judge09

My sister-in-law, god bless her, tried to do some car maintenance and decided to wax her volvo. Well when I saw the car a couple weeks ago all the plastic pieces including weather stripping was stained white. Any ideas on how I can reverse this. I tried some armorall type stuff and that only lasts a little while. If anyone knows a more permanent fix it would be appreciated. Thanks

You need to buy a cleaner specific for plastics (won't discolor) and a boars hair brush and scrub that sucka in a circular motion with lots of water, should come out.

Don't feel bad, Wife has done that too!

you could also try windex on plastics. Should clean up a lot. I have seen alot of people wax over their moldings and have also seen people who don't clean wax out of creases on doors and hoods. We need to teach them how ot do it right.

RE: Accident

I will give those a try. Thanks. The worst part is we just re-shot the volvo with a nice navy blue paint a year ago. Now the plastic parts make it looks real bad.

I had the same problem, as hard as i try i always end up getting some was on the plastic. So i found "Black Magic" at O'Reily's that works great. just spray it on and rub it in after everything is dry and it darkens the plastic and you wont see the was anymore.

LR

i think its called bck to black from black magic. They have a vinyl darkener, works well on my fender flares from fading in the sun.

RE: Jeepy!!!

My father did that to his Explorer. Get a big white eraser, the type you would use for art work. Then erase all the trim work. This removes the wax from the plastic insted of trying to hide it with chemicals.

He did a little bit every time he was at the gas station waiting. Now it looks like new.

image-missing.png

RE: progress...

daveplot said:
My father did that to his Explorer. Get a big white eraser, the type you would use for art work. Then erase all the trim work. This removes the wax from the plastic insted of trying to hide it with chemicals.

He did a little bit every time he was at the gas station waiting. Now it looks like new.

image-missing.png

Seriously??

YJ Indicator Lights

OK the black magic was for the tires, my mistake. The stuff i use for the flares is a Maguires(sp) product. its made for the plastic type stuff, i know its in a purple bottle and agreen nozzle, haha not much help on that. but it works great

LR

ok I will just go to the autoparts store and try a plastic cleaner. Thanks for the recommendations.

judge09 said:
daveplot said:

image-missing.png

Seriously??

Well I was looking through the desk at work and wouldnt you know I had one of these crazy erasers. It actually works! Its going to be quite the process to erase the whole car. But it really does work. Thanks daveplot. I am going to make a trip to the store to see if anything works a little easier (there is a lot of car) but thanks for the help! :)

Yea, thats why he did a little bit at the gas station. It would take way too long to do it all at once.

Plus he owns an Engineering/Architectural firm, so there are plenty of erasers to use.

hahaha, If you do end up "erasing" the whole car, you've got to video tape it!!!

Now that would be quite the sight...

RE: Re: RE: Jeepy!!!

I will set up a video camera every time I go to erase some, then speed everything up real fast.

Back