Water on/in distributor

Deerhunter30

One weakness that I found in my Jeep last weekend was getting water in the distributor. Any tips to prevent this? Possibly a shield or someghing?

YES,my cj had the same problem.I got new plug wires,and a new didsributer cap.Then I bought a can of spray silican then sparay em' on the distributer cap as you are putting it on,and after it is on,to form water ploofer.You should also spray the plug wires near the distributer.This helped me tons.The plug wires help it start easier and silican to keep the water out.

I found this on a friends site....should aply to your Jeep too.

PART THREE: IGNITION WATERPROOFING AND IMPROVEMENTS
This is the only part where you actually have to do anything requiring much effort, besides crawling under the truck to install the vent hoses.

Plug wires:make sure they're in good shape. I put a little bead of RTV inside the boots on both ends, plus a little bit around the joint where the boot ends and wire begins (I guess I'm kinda a belt-and-suspenders man when it comes to this).

Distributor: I have read of some pretty exotic treatments here regarding closed-cell foam and duct tape, but I have found it to not be necessary. The distributor on the 4.2L is rather low, below the spark plugs, but my system works quite well. I have never had any problem with water in the distributor, which is quite regularly totally and deeply under water. What I did was pull the cap off, and run a bead of silicone around the bottom of the cap, where it meets the distributor body. That's it. Accel and perhaps other aftermarket caps have an o-ring around the bottom of the cap, so if you have one of these, you probably don't even have to bother.

This leads into the promised improvement.... if you have a '77 and up 4.2L, switch to the Ford 8MM two-piece distributor cap. This will help with the cross-fire problem inherent to these engines. Run a little RTV around the bottom of the base cap, then also at the top, where the top piece goes on. There is a double lip on the top cap to fit over the base part, so this may not be necessary, but I do it anyway. Another advantage to the two piece caps is the flapper valve vent on them. I suppose you could modify that just like the drive-train, but I haven't bothered.

Rob 8) :p :)

If you do get water under the distributor, few people know this quick remedy... spray WD-40 under the cap! I swear it dries it right up. My dad did that to my distributor when I couldn't get a spark one day and I thought he was crazy and just making it worse. But it works great! FYI

Chem-tool works great to...Saved my hide a couple of times. LOL

Rob 8) :p :)

I've used chemtool... they also make a chemical that is intended for drying ignitions... but chemtool is my weapon of choice... cleans crank, cleans injectors, displaces water when sucked into intake, displaces water on ignition, patriotic red white and blue bottle, and one sniff is good for waking you up in the morning

dead computer

Any decent carburator cleaner spray will work as well.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think that I will try the dielectric grease trick or the silicone and RTV trick. I mastered drying it out once wet last weekend. I would like to try and keep it from getting wet next time.

If you totally seal the cap to the top of the distibutor, you'll have to vent it to keep condensation out. Drill the top of the cap and rig a vent similar to the vents on your rears.

ive been having the similar problem with water in my tj's distrib cap, imma try that silicon and then im gonna try and take pvc and run my breather vent elsewhere where theres no chance of water, ill let u kno how it works out

my heep

better yet i think ill do it around like my tail pipe is, pointing down so water doesnt sit

I totally use the wd40 trick, that is why I need my Jeep lifted to get that stuff out of the water. Silcone is another option.

I totally use the wd40 trick, that is why I need my Jeep lifted to get that stuff out of the water. Silcone is another option.

Back