WARNING pointless venting rant

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
I am very enraged at the lack of help at the local auto and hardware shops! I am a teacher, and I know twice more than the morrons that work at these places!

OK here is the deal, I installed a set of autometer guages, cylinder head temp and a transmission temp that I am putting in my T-case, well, I need to drill and tap the holes with a 10mm-1.0 thread tap (which is a fairly odd size) All my drill and tap sets do not have that thread, they are all 10mm-1.25 or 10mm-1.5 well on sunday morning I went to Home depot, Lowes, autozone and pep boys and no one had the correct Tap, the kid at pep boys told me just to use the 1.25 tap, saying that is would work! :twisted: NO wrong thread, but he insisted on telling me that that measurement was the length of the tap threads :twisted: NO it in the measurement of the # of threads. well to my dismay, I new I would have to wait for the Metalman work shop and supply house to open (where I get most of my stuff) It was not open sunday, and I was busy monday, I I jet out of work early yesturday and drive over and walk in and BAM right there is the tap I need, But I do not have the drill bit to predrill the holes. Some taps require a drill that is a letter designation, and this particular requires a "T" drill bit, so I could not find it on the rack so I walk over to the sales guy and ask if he has any "T" behind the counter or out back.

He looks at the tap, clearly see's the "T" and proceeds to say, I know what you need, walks over to the display and picks up a T-handle hand tap, :evil: NO that is not what I need, it is a drill bit not a hand tap handle, I have hundred of those, well he insisted that he was right. so I went home broke out my old conversion charts and found out that I can also use a 9mm drill bit, head back, well they don't have the drill bit so, after some rambo style math on a coffee cup with a crayon, a 11/32 drill would also work, turns out it measure 8.7 something mm.

ARRRGGGG

Funny as hell winnebago man

I just went through a similar snafu. I broke the bolts to the upper shock mount in the rear of the XJ. The local parts store had taps, but they came with some of those thread insert junk.

After around 3 stops I went to Home Depot, who fortunately had taps that come with their own bit. Mine was a "G". Good to go, right?

Got home, and the T handle I already had was too small, back to home depot, they were sold out. Had to go back to the original place to buy the setup with the thread inserts because they didn't sell the handle seperately.

This kind of stuff went on all weekend as I was trying to do my suspension.

I feel your pain :lol:

seems as though some people hire people walking by on the street.... they could at least be honest.. if they dont' know something, say so, don't act like a pro at something they don't know

TC,
That's called a helicoil kit. I don't know if those are even standard sized taps. I guess it would be stamped if it was.
Ghettozone really kills me. If you don't have a year and model, you can expect nothing. Try asking them for a spindle nut socket for a Dana 60. Huhhh???
I was waiting sunday morning for the local Autozone to open so I could get some motor oil....The guy waiting outside with me had some funky t-shaped copper tubing with two male ends on it. He wanted the female ends that screwed on to it. I told him good luck on some fittings in there. I had to throw some of my hydraulic knowledge on him after he told me what it was on. An airplane...yeah that's right. You want to buy some airplane parts from the experts at Autozone? The guy thought it was 1/8" pipe but I set him straight on the in and outs of inverted flares. That crap would have leaked like crazy if they had given him some pipe fittings.

it would be a better world if all threads were the same... but thats not the case

Dirt cheap XJ in PA.

Snitty said:
it would be a better world if all threads were the same... but thats not the case

and... it would be nice to not have to have 2 sets of sockets and wrenches (S.A.E. and Metric)!!!!!

As far as the "helicoil" kit, I only used the T-handle.

Yeah, I can remember the days when a parts guy at the store knew almost everything he sold by the name and the part number from memory and could walk right to it, no matter how obscure. Now these dork kids tap a few computer keys and if they don't know what you really want, they try to sell you a U-Joint instead of a U-bolt...if their computer comes up empty, they say the part doesn't exist.....freakin' morons.

Talk to the manager at the autoparts store. They usually don't know much more about vehicle repair than the other booger-eating morons, but they have a better knowledge of the stock and how to look up certain parts. I worked in a parts store when I was younger, but I took pride in being a helpful booger-eating moron.

There is a local 4X4 shop, but they don't sell the small tools and stuff, and if they did they would make a killing!

Back