Wanting to go wireless

bryanjeep

Hi, I want to put internet in my room with my new laptop. The computer that I am typing this on is in the computer room. What will I need to get internet into my room. I have heard it isn't as simple as getting one of those wireless transmitters and a card. I have DSL through Bellsouth. I don't really want to have to run another wire through the wall.

What should I need? Do I really need to buy a hub too? I really don't want to have to buy all that. By the way all that these two computers have are USB inputs and no ethernet.

Hmm... I work wired network, faster, but you have to drill holes through the house... What I believe you will need is a Wireless router, for the connection from the DSL Modem to go wireless, and a Wireless network card... If you have an open card slot on the laptop, you should just be able to slide the card in, and the setup will basically do the rest, depending on your operating system.

You'll need the router to share the same connection with 2 computers, a hub will not do it. You can either install an ethernet card in the computer room computer, or get a USB Ethernet Adapter, and wire into the router, while having the laptop use the wireless part of the router with a wireless card.

Our setup is Cable Modem>Router>Switch>Computers We need the switch (like a hub) because we have about 2 computers in each room of the house. Basically, yours would be DSL Modem>Router>(wired)Desktop Computer/(wireless) Laptop... Like I said, I'm running a different setup, but I think that would be all you need.

For all my random internet posts

Do they make a wireless router (with those antennas) that takes a usb setup instead of ethernet? I'd like to do away with having to buy that adapter to go from usb to ethernet.

you will still need to buy a wireless pcmcia card for the laptop... the usb/ethernet connection at your terminal won't be needed

you need a wireless firewall/router (if you don't have a hardware firewall already, don't trust software firewalls, they can be hacked). buy a PC card (or USB) wireless card for the laptop - that is all you need. If you can go wired, do it. Wireless is very finnicky and not real secure.

Yup, you'll just need a wireless access point (router) ~$90 and a wireless card/adapter for your laptop $60. You can pick 'em up at just about any Staples, Office Depot, etc. I had the same setup with my Bellsouth DSL.

Oh yeah, if you use a DSL modem that only has a USB connection, you'll need a DSL modem with an ethernet connection (like an Alcatel Speed Touch Home). Pick one up on eBay rather than buying from BellSouth. You can get it for about 90% less.

Back