want to go to the paragon, but kinda leary

2000wrangler

i dont do that much off highway driving. i take the occasional trip up the power line and in the mud a little. i am dying to go to the paragon, but i am kinda scared. i have a stock tj and it is my daily driver. i guess i am worried that i am gonna get myself into a situation that i wont be able to get out of.......sounds kinda wimpy.....dont it

long as you go with a guide that knows the trails a stock TJ will get you through most easy trails there....dont be scared, jeeps are MADE to go off the pavement, and if you get somewhere you can't get out of, there are TONS of people on the trails that have plenty of gear to pull you through anything

i took my XJ last winter up there on street tires when there was 3" of solid ice covering the ground... we had to go into 4wd just to get into the main parking lot, let alone the trails. talk about a head trip! i thought i was gonna die, but the jeep performed FLAWLESSLY. you have NOTHING to worry about.

I made it through and my Jeep is basically stock. The key is to have a guide with you--someone who knows the trails. And use some common sense.

I bought my Jeep the day before the blizzard hit last year. I drove to DC to work on dry rotted tires and worn out springs during that blizzard, drove home to Baltimore at the end of the storm, and went back in the next day. That was one heck of a storm, wind & snowdrifts. If you're afraid to take that Jeep on a trail, let it take you! Stick to the simplest trails, take your time and don't go alone.

When I first got my YJ I wanted to go offroading so bad but I didn't know what to expect. I finally went with a buddy of mine up in potsdam ny... no particular trail, just go on what looks fun. The first major obsticle was a river crossing, it must have been 4 feet deep. The Toyota went first and made it, I was hesitant, but I made it across with no problems. The rest of the day I put my stocker through anything I could find there, only got hung up once on a stump... nothing a SOA and 36"ers wont fix! :D
I say, as long as you have another 4x4 with you, and some tow straps, go for the gusto... you will be suprised what your new toy can do!

if it helps, i took a stock grand cherokee (street tires and all!) to paragon. i scraped and thudded a little, but in the end no damage :D . my advice agrees with the others, guides and like johnny7point0 said, common sense.

i think that i am gonna go on the toys for tots ride on the 1st. i just have to stick to the easy trails. thats all. if i go, i hope to meet some of you. i cant believe i was never there only living 20 min. away

noise in the front.

Sure a monthly ride is good, But the groups are rather large.
You really should of came with the last stocker group.
Or ride with someone to see the terrian, and this way you dont mess you stuff up :)

A stock jeep is compleatly differant than anything else stock. For them to say a stock suv can make it that meen all those grocery getters too. You jeep should be able to do much more. When you have something that capable then you will learn quickly and you will be looking for more challenges very quickly. I still have not found anything that i could not do. (although my jeep has been torn apart more than running.) Hopefully I will encounter a miricle so I can scrape up enough money to go to moab next weekend then we will see what my jeep really can do.

2000wrangler said:
i dont do that much off highway driving. i take the occasional trip up the power line and in the mud a little. i am dying to go to the paragon, but i am kinda scared. i have a stock tj and it is my daily driver. i guess i am worried that i am gonna get myself into a situation that i wont be able to get out of.......sounds kinda wimpy.....dont it

do the monthly ride.. first weekend of the month, and taks the level 1 trails.. you will do fine.

Back