Wandering...

B192734

So my 2000XJ wanders. Duh, it's a jeep. But has anyone else ever felt like their steering is just really loose? Beyond the normal amount of play it'll have? I'm not sure if it's the new shocks along with new tires finally getting broken in, or something else more sinister...It just feels like my steering is really loose, and I wander especially when there are any kind of bumps or ruts. I understand the "bump steer" concept, but it doesn't really seem to be that. I also MAY be overreacting to something that isn't really there. Not sure. How do your rides play on roads?

My 00 XJ is not loose... It's normal for an old CJ, but not a "new" XJ. You need to check that out.

Could be something as simple as a loose or worn trackbar. Stand in front and watch the tires and steering linkage closely as somebody turns the steering wheel back and forth. Have them bounce the steering wheel back and forth against full-lock quickly, paying close attention to each end of the front trackbar.

i have an 89 with 35 and 8 inches of lift doesnt wander at all i it has been jumped wheeled as hard as i can with stock gears still no wander alot of creaking from the unibody though :confused:

So I went out driving last night to see if I could narrow it down. I think that there isn't any actual play in the steering. I steered back and forth pretty quickly, and I could feel it react almost immediately. So I don't think that there's a problem there. So I'm guessing that it has to be down on the track bar or something. Gonna see if I can look at that today. I've never actually had to look to see if one was wron out, so what am I actually looking for?

So I went out driving last night to see if I could narrow it down. I think that there isn't any actual play in the steering. I steered back and forth pretty quickly, and I could feel it react almost immediately. So I don't think that there's a problem there. So I'm guessing that it has to be down on the track bar or something. Gonna see if I can look at that today. I've never actually had to look to see if one was wron out, so what am I actually looking for?

Following Bounty's instructions above, look for the trackbar to move at either end joint, or for any other steering components that have excessive movement at the joints.

Also watch the lower and upper control arms a worn bushing there can give you a slight "bump" steer like feeling. But will the wheel test as outlined by Bounty Hunter you should be able to find the culprit

my sons xj was loose too .couldnt find any cause so i started replacing simple first . i changed the ball joint at the pitman and the passenger side of the arms end. viola ! no wander no dw. this was the least expensive fix yet and took 20 min.( his toe in was also about half an inch so i set it more to zero. )

Back