Wagoneer Starting Problem

tycho

Hi guys, need some help on an issue,

Profile:
Jeep Wagoneer Limited 1989, 4.0L, 6C

Problem:

Jeep randomly won't start. I will hop in the jeep, turn the ignition, I here a click-ping (like a normal click before it turns over), but it doesn't turn over, doesn't try, only the ping. From that point if I try and turn the key there is no click, and everything is dead (no internal lights, radio, etc). To fix this, I get out, disconnect both neg and pos on the battery for a few seconds, then reconnect, then the jeep will start no problem. This has been pretty random, over the past month, about once a week. Its not a huge issue at this point, as I can get the jeep going again on the spot, but still an issue. Any direction? I was thinking maybe solenoid, or a relay somewhere? The thing that boggles me is that disconnecting the battery and connecting it back allows me to start no problem.

Thanks for the help guys,

Tycho

I had that happen one time and it turned out the neg battery terminal clamp had a hairline crack in it and it wasn't making good ground. (Tightening the fitting only opened the crack up)

Okay, well i've checked my cables and cleaned them, they seem okay, but I might replace them anyway, any suggestions for heavy duty cables, or where to purchase?

Anything else you can think of on this one? I'm kind of skeptical about the battery cables because this only happens when the Jeep has been sitting for 30mins-2hrs and I go to start it. Nothing cuts out when its on....

Maybe your correct though, its a tough one.

-Tycho

I had some real weird stuff happening when that cable went bad. Sometimes it would have good enough contact to work fine. It never shut off when running. But sometimes the contact would be so bad my clock would stop. I couldn't figure out why my clock kept losing time. Other times there would be enough current for the radio, clock, etc, but it wouldnt turn over. I'm not saying that has to be it, but check the connections, check your grounds, etc.

Just bought some new cables, will install this weekend.

Happend three times already today so better get off my butt.

-Tycho

Hey Guys,

do you know of a good place to purchase battery cables? I ordered some through my local aftermarket supplier but both cables are the same, the positive doesn't have the correct ends and the negative has a dual end which isn't needed.

Kind of frustrated, I could re-crimp my own ends on them but i'd rather buy some cables that are customized for the vehicle.

-Tycho

Back