V8 Conversion Questions

Hello guys, i have finally saved up a pretty good chunck of cash and i want to put it into a big project on my jeep. I want to put a V8 in it, preferably a 5.3L or a 6.0L from GM. My jeep is a 1999 TJ it has the 2.5L in it as of right now. I have read and understood that i need to swap out my axles during this project to. Could anyone tell me where i need to start? Where can i get the axles i need that will bolt in for a reasonable price? Should i buyout the entire donor vehicle from a junkyard? Thanks! :shades:

Hello guys, i have finally saved up a pretty good chunck of cash and i want to put it into a big project on my jeep. I want to put a V8 in it, preferably a 5.3L or a 6.0L from GM. My jeep is a 1999 TJ it has the 2.5L in it as of right now. I have read and understood that i need to swap out my axles during this project to. Could anyone tell me where i need to start? Where can i get the axles i need that will bolt in for a reasonable price? Should i buyout the entire donor vehicle from a junkyard? Thanks! :shades:

Define what you mean by "bolt in" and what is "a reasonable price?" If you're talking about finding an axle that will just swap in an afternoon, you either need to find someone's older built axles that are being swapped out or buy new to fit.

You could go to a set of '03~'06 Rubicon axles, but depending on how you build the motor, and your driving style, you will certainly need to upgrade those as well. If you're interested in new, shoot me an email or PM. I have sales going on right now! :D

Allen

D44 axles will only be marginal for 5.3 or 6.0 power, I'd recommend D60 axles front and rear. The best donor is late '70s Ford trucks. Regardless of which route you go, you will need bracket kits installed on the axles in order to bolt them into a TJ.

If you are looking at GM engines it would most likely be easiest to purchase a GM donor truck. I think 70s had the solid front axles. This way you shouldn't need too many if any adaptors for your conversion to a V8. But, the pumpkin would be swapped from the driver side to the passenger side of your Jeep. I am not sure what else would have to be modified for such a switch.

I agree Bounty, try to find some D60s or something equivalent to.

Bacon

Back