update on project

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
I started my axle project for squeeky!
I got me some Dana 44's out of two different but same FSJ's

The front is out of a 79 FSJ with open knuckles 3.07:1
image-missing.png

I am gonna pull the entire knuckle assembly and outer shafts off in favor for a D44 knuckle off a chevy D44 that I have hanging around with premium warn hubs and bigger splines (from my old truck) then I will have two methods of disconnect (the fatory was vacumn like in TJ's and YJ's) So I will probably run 4.56:1 with a detroit locker

The rear Is out of a 77 FSJ and is a 4.10:1 plus the guy gave me an extra 4.190 carrier and R&P but I won't use it. In the rear I am gonna put probably a trac lock differential and some upgraded shafts. I got the new drums, now waiting for other parts to come in like new backing plates and wheel cyl.
image-missing.png

Sounds like a plan man. Keep us posted on how the instal goes.

I believe I would put the 4.10 back in the rear and gear the front the same. That would save some money for your other mods. I wouldn't worry about changing the rear shafts. They will hold up to a 36" tire with no problem especially if you are going to use a trac lock. Any bigger tire than that and you will have more issues out of the front shafts.
Looks good.

redrooster said:
I believe I would put the 4.10 back in the rear and gear the front the same. That would save some money for your other mods. I wouldn't worry about changing the rear shafts. They will hold up to a 36" tire with no problem especially if you are going to use a trac lock. Any bigger tire than that and you will have more issues out of the front shafts.
Looks good.
The plan is to run 37's (soa with 1.5-2" lift spring, extended wheel base 3" towards the front) so, the 4:56 should work better. I have put away some money for this project, and and am going to work on it over the winter. plus the initial price of the axles was right on (traded a set of half doors and a grille gaurd for them) The 4:10 r&p look to be in good shape but I have been cruising around with 33" tires and 3:07 for way too long and desire that little extra oomph! I am gonna send out the rear to get dipped in a couple weeks (has a bit of flash rust inside the housing from being apart and the muggyness of my garage. while it is getting dipped, I am gonna tear the front apart!

That front axle is the same driver's side diff D44 I've got sitting in the garage for the YJ. It also has the vacuum disconnect which I'll run with a Spool, mini-spool, or Lincoln Locker.

What's your plans on making the lug patterns match? Which pattern you sticking with?

I'll be running an Isuzu Amigo rear D44 that has factory discs, low ratio carrier, and same 6-lug pattern as the SJ D44 front.

Bounty__Hunter said:
What's your plans on making the lug patterns match? Which pattern you sticking with?
Both my front and rear are 6 lug so I am gonna stay with that set up, plus I have a 79 chevy blazer as a parts truck, so the knuckles I swap over are also 6 lug. Plus on top of that, the chevy truck already has 15x8 ARE wheels that at one point had 36" tires on them, so I am gonna simply use those.

I was considering getting it changed to a 5-5.5 or 5-4.5 lug pattern, but will save money by simply re-using my old rims. I will see if I can find a old picture of the truck.

Why do you want the lockouts when you have the vacuum disconnect?

Is there an advantage of the Chevy knuckles besides converting to lockouts?

Wanted....

Converting to manual lock-outs is a biggy with me, From my experience, I simply don't trust just a vacumn disconnect (converted to cable of course)
Plus best of all, this set up will be free!

also, I will be able to get factory and aftermarket parts easilier should something break. (I have found out that autozone has no clue about the set up in any older jeep other than a CJ)

this is where I have been getting a lot of info, real good site
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

What transmission and t-case are you running? I would consider a 4.88 gera if you are going to changeout both axles anyway. It would be a lot better with the 37's.
I went from 35's to 40's with a 4.56. It's not too bad with the auto, but may be a lot more noticeable with a manual. I solved my low range issues with an Atlas.

I plan on running 5.38 since it's behind a 4banger. I'll be running 34" or 35" swampers.

I'm not a big fan of axle disconnects just because of the added working parts, but the SJ setup seems pretty stout.
I'm drawing a blank on the exact setup of the hubs on an SJ, but isn't it just a 1/2 ton internally splined hub with an externally splined solid drive flange inside? If so, that would be stronger than those manual hubs......there's nothing to break unless you split the hub body.

How many splines do the stub shafts have in a 1/2ton Chevy D44? I was thinking they were the same size.

Bounty, the Amigos had D44s too? I was thinking it was just the Rodeo, for some reason. Great.....another piece of crap I have to remember to keep an eye out for when I'm in a junkyard :roll:
What does the carrier look like in those? Is it like all the others?

I meant Rodeo, I'm pretty sure that's what I spied at the yard, just need to go back and pull it.

It's a 4.30 gear ratio with a thick gearset, the carrier will work with any D44 low gear set.

The 1/2 D44 found in the 73-76 chevy and the SJ axles are identical in every way except that the differential is on oposite sides. the 77-on D44 found in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton applications was the same as well but used a different spindle that was larger, and the wheel beerings were obviosly larger as well.I was under the impression that the manual hubs were stonger than the Auto/full time hubs of the FSJ, But I am seamingly new to this axle, and have been trying to figure out as much as possible.

But...

Last night a Jeep friend and I were talking jeep and he has a Dana 300 T-case hanging around that he said I can have for $100, and I already have a passenger side drop d44 from my chevy so...
Instead of flipping the D300, I might now cut down the D44 I already have, and sell my newer D44. or.. remove the axle tubes from teh waggy D44 carries and switch them or something. I dunno... every time I hang out with this guy I get the most hair-brained idea's. (next he probably wants me to throw a diesel in there)

Back