UPDATE: 4wd problem after lift

Nooch13

OK, I got the alignment done. It doesnt feel like it's quite right yet. When in 4wd, it still "sidewinds" and if I get it in 4wd on a slick road, I'll spin again. The mechanic said that there is a slight "torque pull", I have never heard of that before. He also said that it could be a tire. They are all new, so I dount that could be it. does anyone have any further input on what could be the cause or what would cause this "torque pull"

OK and if someone didnt read the first thread, Its a 98 TJ that I recently lifted myself with a 2" skyjacker kit. I had serious problems driving in the snow today (I was able to do better in 2wd than 4wd). It kept sidewinding and spinning out in 4wd.

Yikes, I don't like the sound of that, since I'm about to purchase and install the 2" Skyjacker lift that you speak of.

I've only ever heard/experienced of this torque pull or "torque steer" in front wheel drive vehicles.

10-4 on the front wheel drive thing.
I have never heard of that happening because of a lift or 4wd.
Check one thing out though: The center pin for the spring may not be seated in the hole in the perch. If so, the axle can literally slide along the spring and make you do the spin out thing. Check it out. May be a longshot and completely unrelated.
What about lockers? Are you running them front, rear, both, neither?

No centerpins and perch holes on a TJ, they have coils all the way around.

Did the 4wd do this before the lift?

Almost sounds like somebody changed the gear ratio in one axle but not the other.

No centerpins and perch holes on a TJ, they have coils all the way around.
You are correct Sir! My eyes read, but the mind did not comprehend.
In that case are all the bushings in your control arms in there.
It sounds to me like when you are in 4WD the front axle is walking out on one side. As if you were turning when you're not. You take it out of 4WD and it stops because the it is being pushed instead of pulled by the tires.
Did you have any pieces left over after the lift?

It worked fine before the lift which is why I am BAFFLED! I got the alignment done and tried to find a snowy road, but didnt have luck finding one. It just still doenst feel right. Could an axle not be turning for one reason or another???

Is it possible that only one side of the front axle is engaging when put in 4wd? Does the TJ work on the same vacuum system as a YJ? Could you have unplugged something or knocked something loose when installing your lift?
Another long shot, but the thought came to mind and it might be worth checking out.

Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll get it straight whatever it is.

Reading another recent post, I see that the TJ does not have the same system as the older Jeeps. That rules that out. :oops:

Twisted, thats exactly what I thought too, but it looks like I am getting all of the wheels spinning (I think anyway!)

sorry, the problem was the alignment! Things are perfect now! The tow and camber were off on my right front!

figures the alignment was out where did u get it done? Sears? there shady i worked there for a year while i was in school there the worst place to go to get things doen rite....

Back