Tune up - curiosity question

geopig

So I did a minor tune up on my 91 YJ this morning. Essentially I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor along with an oil change. Anyhow, it is the first time I've personally done a plug/wire/dist/rotor change myself and I'm pretty happy with the ease at which I completed it.

So my question, just out of curiosity, is how do I know exactly whether I'm firing on all cylinders after replacing the plugs/wire? I'm assuming I may notice a difference in the engine sound and almost certainly in the power. But if it was only one cylinder not firing would it be dramatic?

The reason I ask this is that when attaching the new wire set to the plugs I had some difficulty making the connection, until i realized I could slide the rubber boot down so there was not as much boot to go over the plug, which at first was making the wire/plug connection come off.

Thanks for the info!

If a cylinder isn't firing it will Idle rough, and then when you rev it, it will rev really rough until the engine picks up a lot of speed

Tire/Rim Question for BDS 3" Lift

I second Twisted. I have broke a spark plug, and also had a wire come off. You would know it if you had a problem.

power steering

Great, I figured as much and was just being a bit paranoid and was curious. Thanks a bunch guys!!

Get a spray bottle of water, and squirt it on the exhaust manifold next to the head, one exhaust tube at a time. If they all sizzle and evaporate at the same rate, you're burning just fine in each cylinder.

Back